What supplement can I use to lower my cholesterol?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Honey nut cheerios are great for this.

Answer by older at 7:55 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Apple Cider Vinger 2 tbs daily
    mari2120

Answer by mari2120 at 8:22 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My husbands Dr told him to take 5000-6000 mg of Omega-3 supplement. In three months his cholesterol has dropped 175 points. My Mom take Omega-3 too for the same reason.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:38 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Garlic & fish oil
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:39 AM on May. 4, 2011

• How about tweaking your diet?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:17 AM on May. 4, 2011

• You need more soluble fiber in your diet and fewer saturated fats, particularly from animal products, which have cholesterol. In fact, by eliminating meats and other animal products (cheese, eggs, milk), you can eliminate cholesterol from your diet, as cholesterol only exists in animal products. Soluble fiber works in lowering cholesterol by binding to bile in your small intestine, so the bile that would normally be reabsorbed in your large intestine is excreted. Bile is made from cholesterol, so the liver has to take some more from the blood to make more bile. Oatmeal is much better for you than Honey Nut Cheerios or other sugary cereals.
    Omega-3s are good in general. In fact, ground flax seeds are a great thing to add to oatmeal, batters, and other foods, because they're high in omega-3s, and they're loaded with soluble and insoluble fiber.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:17 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Exercise lowers LDL. You should also try to increase your HDL. Drink one glass of red wine or purple grape juice a day, get a daily dose of cinnamon (I put it in my coffee). Switch to olive oil and grapeseed oil. Both raise HDL cholesterol. I did these things and my HDL is now 72. Most people have about 20.

High HDL counteracts high LDL. The ratio of LDL to HDL is important. Omega 3 fats also increase HDL (walnuts, fish oil, salmon, flax seeds).
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 10:43 PM on May. 7, 2011