Budget

I put my hubby on a budget. He doesn't stick to it. He has been cashing checks because I only give him a certain amount of money. I can stick to the budget. Any ideas on how to get him to see he is driving us into a hole???

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 8:34 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• i would start treating him like a child and take his checkbook and debit card away, and only give him an alloted amount of money. if he's fully aware of what his spending habits are doing to your finances, he's being selfish. we are on a tight budget also and only use an allotted amount of cash now, all that stays in our checking account is bill money. i have had to take his card once because he kept using it and then when it was time to pay bills, the money wasn't there. he sticks to it better now.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:38 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Do you both work? If so, I would get seperate accounts. On payday make him give you his half of the money for bills so you can pay bills. Make him give you half for groceries and misc. Anything he has after that is his to spend but when his account reaches zero, that's it!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:38 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Yes he works. And we do sort have separate accounts. We have a joint household account and a joint savings. Then we each have our own spending account.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 8:41 PM on May. 3, 2011

• He needs to make the family his focus instead of his wants. Perhaps both of you should take a personal finance class or talk to your banker regarding a workable budget.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:51 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Let him have some say in the budget. Having a budget is super important and it can help you save so much money. So even if he wants something more than you would budget for him- it might be better to let him have it. Kinda like losing the battle to win the war. Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:43 PM on May. 4, 2011