Have you ever heard of a foot swelling & having pain that isn't gout or an injury?

My son has always walked on the inside of his feet- so he has arch supportive shoes. But now he has occasional swelling & pain - but was told he does not have gout. (He's only 21 y/o) I plan to make him an appt. w/ a foot specialist, but was wondering if any of you have dealt with something like this?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 8:47 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Health

• As an Athletic Trainer (sports medicine specialist) I deal with stuff like this all the time. Could be many things... plantar faciitis, an over use condition, his orthotic may need to be modified, the list goes on... definitely follow up with an orthopedist or a podiatrist for sure!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:53 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Does he have pain in a specific way of walking. Like when he steps down or off. It could be a matter is inflammation and an irritated muscle or tendon. I had planterflaciatis (if that's the correct spelling) try and stretch it FOR him and see if there is pain.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 8:49 PM on May. 3, 2011

• i would also make sure that he has had a complete blood work-up to rule out kidney issues and other things that could contibute to edema.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:49 PM on May. 3, 2011

• the uneven pull on the foot and lower leg muscles can cause pain. my son is 5 and also walks like that. no trouble so far but im sure he will in the future! i would go to a foot specialist. i was told by my sons Dr that he would have needed leg braces if it caused him pain. that was when he was 2 though. i have no clue what they will do when he is older. a massage therapist can help alot if the swelling isnt present! good luck!
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 8:55 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I would need more specific symptoms to even guess. My feet hurt when I'm dehydrated. Also my BIL was told on two sperate occasion that he did not have gout......low and behold he did.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:07 PM on May. 3, 2011