What do they give babies

right when they are born do they get any vaccines?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the first hepB shot is the only one I was told.
    Anonymous

• No all of the babies antibodies for the first couple of months are delivered through breastmilk. Unless he/she is sick, then they might.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 4:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• they now give them their first Hep B shot and the Vitamin K (I think) too
    Artillwife01

Answer by Artillwife01 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• they only gave my baby the hepititis b shot
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 4:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Only hepatitis B, they get fully vaccinated at 6wks. Hep B is normally given in the heal of the foot
    kkgrls

Answer by kkgrls at 4:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Mine got the hep B and vit K
    Anonymous

• I called the hospital after we got home to see if they had given him the Hep B shot. The nurse told me that they didn't do the Hep. B shot until their 2 month appointment. I think some hospitals wait to do the Hep. B. (If only I knew at the hospital what I know now!)
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Most offer the Hep B. I declined it at birth.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My kids just got vit K shots they do that because vit k is made from bacteria in the intestines (e. coli) and a baby has no exposure to bacteria until it hits the vagina (or air in case of c sections) it takes them a few weeks to start making that vit. Vit K clots blood and that is kinda an important one. Though probably not really necessary because they still have what mom's body gave them which should hold them till their body kicks in. Hep B the hospital gives the option but usually it is better to just let the pedi give it. Other than that the heal shot the pp is talking about is actually to screen for genetic disorders pku specifically and is not a shot but a pin prick to draw blood. And needs to be repeated in 72hrs.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Interesting fact about Vit. K and circumcision. The baby usually begins to make it's own Vit K by around the 8th day, which is partly why the Jewish circumcise on the 8th day. I don't circumcise, but if you plan on it, I'd recommend either waiting a few days or getting Vit K.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2008