I don't fully understand Trademarks...

Can someone help me understand the rules for business names? I want to start making cloth diapers and I have a couple name ideas. The first does not show up on a Trademark search, but I did find a website for a company that uses this name. Can I still use it? What if they later want to trademark? Or I do? The second name pulls up many hits on the trademark search. This I don't understand because I thought if it was Trademarked no one else could use it, so how can several come up? I just want to have a cute name for my diapers, but I don't want to do something wrong.

Mommy2Phenley

Asked by Mommy2Phenley at 4:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Money & Work

• you should try working on THIS SITE i think you will like the extra FREE money :)

i think you have to copy-right it... and they will tell you if its in use or not im pretty sure.. like when you try to add it they will tell you if they can accept the name or not i believe :)

Anonymous

• It would be a good idea to contact a lawyer to see what your options are. If you end up selling your diapers under a name that is trademarked that could get you into some hot water.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2008