Why does pumpkin hate me???

I made a pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving, it tasted good, but never set up like a cheesecake should. Today I decided I wanted a pumpkin pie, it is not set like a pumpkin pie should have either. Any ideas how to set it? I cooked the pie and the cheesecake longer and cooled completely and refrigerated them, but they are still....I guess you'd say gooey. HELP!!!

Navymama

Asked by Navymama at 4:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Well according to Martha Stewart people are misinformed on how a pumpkin pie should be. If it cracks when cool it is way over done. It is supposed to be more like a custard or pudding. Just baked not firm. There is some residual cooking that takes place once it is out of the oven. She says to give it a shake and the middle should still look gooey. I hope this helps. Oh and if you have a deep dish shell and plate then you would need to add to the cooking time of cours.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• One problem I had when I started making pumpkin pies was youre supposed to have the heat up high for the first 20 minutes or so when you put the pie in then lower it down some to 375. I think the higher temp make the pumpkin set in place and the rest of the time you are cooking it. Also make sure to fill the pie up but not too high because then its mooshy in the middle. Only fill it about 3/4 of the way.

Answer by gemgem at 5:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Well, I don't know about making them set up now... What recipe did you use for your pumpkin pie? I've never had any trouble getting it to set, so I have no clue. And I've never made a pumpkin cheesecake, so I'm no help on that one either.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 5:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I guess, maybe I filled it too much, cause I had the temp at 425 degrees for the first 15 minutes then 350 for the last hour...like the recipe said.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 5:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2008