Is it bad to hold your sneezes in?

I mean, you have to be sneezing for a reason...like to get something out of your body. But what if you are in a situation where you can't sneeze out loud and you have to hold it in? Does it cause problems? Or maybe keep you sick longer?

mom2sophia711

Asked by mom2sophia711 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Health

• It can burst your ear drums and damage your sinus cavity.
    Some people say it can cause anyerisms to hemmorage too, but I watch The Drs. and they proved that a myth.

It's just bad for your ears and sinuses.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• i heard ur not suppose 2
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 4:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• not sure why i heard the air goes back up 2 ur brain or something
    butterscotch297

• There wouldnt be any reason in the world why i should hold it in. haha

if you have to sneeze then you have to sneeze. There is nothing you can do about it.

i heard it too, that you are not suppose too... but i have absolutely no clue why.

but i do know, thats its absolutely not possible to keep your eyes open when you sneeze :D
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I've done it a million times, and while I'm sure it's not the best thing to do, I haven't suffered any damage from it... LOL. I'd guess it to be harder on your ears and stuff than anything. I don't think it makes any impact on how long you are sick, though. I dunno.
    JamiesMomma0323

Answer by JamiesMomma0323 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I can't stand to hold in my sneezes, but doing it every now and then probably doesn't hurt anything.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 5:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• i CANT hold in my sneezes...i think ive only successfully done it twice in my life...and i sound really messed up when i do it!! haha i would think that it wouldnt be healthy...but who knows!
    luvr4ula

Answer by luvr4ula at 6:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• yeah you aren't supposed to hold them in because the purpose of sneezing is to get germs and things out of your body.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 8:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I actually sneeze quite a bit due to allergies. Unfortunately the place I sneeze the most is at church due to the flowers on the alter. But I do hold my sneezes in quite a bit so I don't make a huge noise or racket... like I said, I sneeze a lot! :-) Nothing has happened to me, and I don't feel that I'm one to get that many colds... just allergy related tickles that come and go, so I don't think holding the sneezes make you sick longer.
    cmy3kids

Answer by cmy3kids at 10:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• It is bad to hold your sneezes in, I heard that when you sneeze your heart stops and if you hold it in it could blow up in your chest. That's what my dad said, my dad's old school
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 8:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2008