What is your best breast feeding advice for a new mom. Please include your name and age.

What are things you wish someone would have told you? What did you learn about breast feeding that you were told but were wrong for you? What is the best thing about breast feeding?

mommy2abbygrace

Asked by mommy2abbygrace at 7:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No one really told me much about breastfeeding I believe it is a big deal for a baby to be breastfeed not only is it good for your body but wonderful for theres. I was given a book by a old friend called "the womanly art of breastfeeding" its a wonderful book for anyone that is new or considering breastfeeding a child..not to mention it saves tons of money, my daughter is formula feed because i cant breastfeed her anymore due to being preg. and i spend about 200 a month on it and it only goes up as they get older. But dont quite because it hurts it will take a bit to get use to, you can use a lotion called utterly smooth its cheap and save for the baby. I think if you produce enough milk to feed your child you should do it...and no it doesnt matter the size of your breast to how much you can make...by the way my name is SueAnna and Im only 20...i know there is older women out there with more experince but this is what i knwo and think
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 7:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• With my son I had trouble breastfeeding. The nurses at the hospital had given him a pacifier even though I asked them not to. This caused him to suck really hard when he nursed and after a week I had blisters ontop of blisters and then I got blood blisters. I had to stop nursing because it was too painful. I couldn't even pump without wimpering.

My daughter was born at home and I didn't have that problem. I did however go to LLL meetings before and after she was born. The women there were such a big help and full of such wonderful sage advice!
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Patience. It takes patience and lots of time, it is something you will cherish if that is what you want. Make the baby is latching on right and feed on demand. Breastmilk doesn't last as long as formula. Have a support system and don't let anyone make you feel bad for doing it for as long as you feel comfortable. I BF all my children. I am 34 and have 4 children.
    Nakor21

Answer by Nakor21 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My sister-in-law gave me alot of advice about breast feeding,but i learned that you just have to do what is best for you.My daughter didn't breast feed the whole time i was in the hospital with her but as soon as we got home and we were in a comfortable setting she was fine.Just don't stress over it.
    Nikki0608

Answer by Nikki0608 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• While breastfeeding is perfectly natural, it doesn't come naturally to most women.

Before you go into labor, contact a breastfeeding consultant. The nurses (and doctors) will all give you completely different advice - frequently conflicting advice! If you have any trouble, do NOT listen to the delivery nurses, give your consultant a call.

If things don't work out and you can't breastfeed or have to stop for some reason - you are NOT a failure. You are NOT a bad mom. Sometimes life doesn't work out the way you planned - it doesn't mean your child won't thrive, won't love you, won't bring you tons of wonderful surprises through the years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• The one thing I wish someone would have told me is just how rude people are when you have to nurse outside of your home. I, myself, have never thought twice about seeing a nursing mom...I think its natural and obviously the most healthy thing for the baby! When I nursed my daughter in public I would get dirty looks or comments (and I mean I was DISCRETE). My advice here is to invest in some good nursing clothing to try to minimize this negative feedback.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Oh, and I am Kara...I'm 25
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Im 46...the one thing nobody told me was to RELAX. If you are tense and can't relax it inhibits the 'let down' !st child it was a disaster. Last child I thought he might begin kindegarten nursing.LOL Good Luck
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Breastfeeding can frustrating and you can often feel like your baby isn't getting enough but it just takes patience and perserverence, avoid supplementing with formula, just keep on it.
    in2sims

Answer by in2sims at 9:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Ignore anyone who has anything to say to you about feeding in public. I spent way too much time letting my daughter cry trying to find a private place to feed her. I was a teen mom and I was was too worried about being judged.
    Maria 20
    supermariomoma

Answer by supermariomoma at 9:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2008