Adding spice to baby's food?

I've read lots of places that spices are perfectly fine to add in small amounts when you're making baby food, but I'm wondering if there are any I should avoid? I know not to put honey and salt in things, but what I'm wondering specifically is whether or not vanilla is okay. Anything else I should avoid?

lyricsoprano90

Asked by lyricsoprano90 at 10:07 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Nothing is terrible if you put a little bit. Salt wont kill your baby either. If you season the food a little, and your baby likes it, and doesnt scream 20 minutes later,,you're doin fine. My 5 month old son eats mashed potatoes( which are seasoned with a few things) and he's perfectly fine =) Babies dont like crappy food either lol
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 10:11 PM on May. 3, 2011

• It's ok to add them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:34 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I added seasonings to all my sons food. Have you tasted baby food? It's disgusting!!! I would just stay away from honey. But the others in small amounts should be ok. Just watch for any reactions.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:15 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Actually, I do taste my baby's food before I give it to him. Everything except rice cereal tasted exactly like the fruit or vegetable it claims to be! :P I was thinking more the rice cereal, to be honest. I put cinnamon in it once, and vanilla once. He hates it, but my doctor told me that he should have it twice a day (!) because of all the nutrients in it.
    lyricsoprano90

Comment by lyricsoprano90 (original poster) at 11:27 PM on May. 3, 2011

• why is salt bad? i salt my daughters food, she's 9 months. she loves salt, pepper, and ketchup on her scrambled eggs
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:39 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Uh, rice cereal isn't healthy and any "nutrition" is added. You'd be better off feeding him baked sweet potato, avocado, and bananas.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:47 PM on May. 3, 2011