How do I get my 2 yr old to listen???

My daughter is very stubborn and tenatious. She throws, hits, pulls hair and bites when she does not get her way. She throws things at us. She thinks time out is game - she runs out of it and when I go get her to put her back --she laughs. Daycare says they have no problem with her so I know its my husband and I.
I have tried time out, ignoring, getting down on her evel and speaking calmly - nothing is working. Do I need to pick one and stick or find what works for her?

gradygirls

Asked by gradygirls at 10:40 PM on May. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have a 4 year old, a 3 year old and a 10 month old. my 3 year old has symptoms of adhd, so ive learned different ways of handling situations. In my experience, when i ignore my son, his tantrums last half as long, I also went to a Love and Logic parenting class and they do a "bedroom time". You take the child to their room, when they stop throwing a fit, you set an egg timer for 3 minutes, and you hand them the timer. You tell them when the timer goes off, they can bring the timer to you. Then they explained that when they hand the timer to you, you dont lecture. They know what they did was wrong. for me, these things in combination have worked.
    tayshu4

Answer by tayshu4 at 11:15 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I like the timer idea, but what if he throws it at you? lol. OP, I think different situations call for different punishments. If my son, who is 22 months old, has a tantrum, I ignore it. Tonight, I was playing with him in the floor, and he picked up a little matchbox car and threw it at me. I smacked him on the hand. If what he did wasn't all that serious but it was something that shouldn't be repeated, I'll give a warning first...if he repeats it, I'll smack him on the diaper. If he hits the dog or something like that, I will spank him on the leg because I want him to feel it. I'm going to try Supernanny's time-out method in about 6 or 8 months. I think he's a bit too little to understand the time-out concept. If that method doesn't work, I will give him a spanking.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:36 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I really would suggest you read 123 Magic or get the DVD, it really works. Also, you don't need to choose one or the other you can use a combo. If she doesn't stay in TO, try sitting with her until she gets it. Good luck!! Please email me personally if you want more tips!! Unravelme@askananny.com
    Stef (the nanny from askananny.com)
    AskANanny

Answer by AskANanny at 1:05 AM on May. 4, 2011

• ugh i know how you feel terrible twos....i cant give any advice though my son was horrible, i ended up locking him in his room when he was on timeouts cuz he would not stay in his room and i know how frustrating it can get trying to hold them down when there kicking and biting you! Hope u find something that helps
    lnanln2006

Answer by lnanln2006 at 11:27 AM on May. 4, 2011