Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting help if I'm homeless, but not low income?

My teen daughter and I have been living in a hotel for about 6 weeks. I've saved a few hundred dollars, but still have a long way to go before I save enough for an apartment. I am not low income by DHS' standards. Are there any agencies that can help us? This is makingy depression symptoms worse. I live in the Metro Detroit area.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Health

Answers (4)

    That is a link that can help you with section 8 housing. I did look a bit to see if I could come up with a special program for people in your situation...but that was all I could come up with. You might try the shelters, one has a program called housing first that I ran across in a couple of articles.
    Good luck

    Answer by CallMeAngie at 10:48 PM on May. 3, 2011

  • Try the Salvation Army, they have transitional housing available. Section 8 or HUD housing can take YEARS to get, if the list is even open. Look through the phone book for low income housing, they may be able to help you out too.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:03 PM on May. 3, 2011

  • I'm 2 months away from being in your exact situtation. It's a sad day in life when you can't afford to live yet you make to much to get help. I'm looking into renting a room, instead of an apartment.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on May. 4, 2011

  • I'm in Michigan too. There are emergency housing funds. If DSS is not being helpful in providing resources, call your state rep's office. My friend had to do that. She was homeless do to an arson fire. DSS kept giving her the runaround. State rep reamed out the director of our local DSS branch.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:37 AM on May. 4, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.