Can you call the police if someone is a suicide risk?

or if not, who should you call? this person is in il if it makes a difference......we are not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Health

• My mom had told me she overdosed on her insulin and didn't want to live.. I'm in TX, she's in MI. I called the police dept up in MI and they checked in with her, took her to the hospital, and got her the help she needed. I would def call the police.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 10:55 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I think you can. I've had the police called on me (not like it did any good)
    Here though, they have a *car 67* which actually has a mental health nurse who
    rides with the police, so she has a better understanding of how to handle it.
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 10:43 PM on May. 3, 2011

• That's a good place to start. If they can't help they can direct you to someone who can!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:45 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Yes, and most places have mental health crisis phone numbers, some have emergency teams operating from hospitals in co-operstion with the police.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:54 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Yes, most definately you can and they will indeed take action. I saw a neighbors door knocked down to get her son when he tried. Also, recently in the news here, a man's friend called and reported him possible killing himself and his wife. The police surrounded his home to force him out while they talked to him on his cell. Thing is he wasn't at home at all. lol
    Anyway, calling the police is definately a way to take action.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 10:57 PM on May. 3, 2011

• YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!! IF you think someone is threatening their lives, please call!!!! They police will go and check the situation out and if they feel there is a risk, the person will be placed on a 72 hour psych hold.

In my city, there is actually a crisis hotline that people can call and they will send someone out or talk to the person at risk.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on May. 3, 2011

• well, she already tried by crashing her car, but she keeps on saying she will again once she gets released from the hospital. i hope they release her to the psych ward instead of out on her own.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:04 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I would think so. If not, they should be able to point you to good resources.
    pampire

Answer by pampire at 11:43 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Absolutely. They can get the person the help they need
    LeslieNBreaux

Answer by LeslieNBreaux at 1:13 AM on May. 4, 2011

• My husband is a cop and around here, when they get a call, they come and the individual in question is automatically admitted to a psych ward for a minimum of 30 days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on May. 4, 2011