Relationship building with my MIL

I am recently married & my great hubby has not seen his mom in nearly three years b/c she is in another state however, we are traveling in a few weeks to see her.

I've met her just once..... Via phone. She congrated us on the marriage.

Now, he's been married previously as have I. The ex she still communicates with my mother in law (only when there are things she wants to fuss and complain over).

I need ideas on starting a bond with my mother in law.

Im giving my DH a celebration party in July. I want her to attend (will fly her out here)....

Any other ideas

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• Take it slow and just be yourself.Hopefully she will have room in her heart for you as well as the ex.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 11:00 PM on May. 3, 2011

• This advice isn't MIL specific. but generally it is easier to build a relationship with someone if you focus on talking only about them. Compliment them as sincerely as possible. Ask about them and try to make them feel special. Its hard to dislike a person who is taking such a strong interest in you ;)
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 11:27 PM on May. 3, 2011

• One way to get to know someone is to have common interests with that person. You could ask her about her family... (like her grandchildren if she has any), or ask her what your husband was like when he was little, or find out if she has any hobbies, or does crafts.... and ask her about that. Be friendly, be open, be honest and most of all just be yourself.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:08 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Just be your self. Call her and ask her how her day was.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 1:22 PM on May. 4, 2011