How do I handle my mother who thinks she knows everything?!

CNAsquared

Asked by CNAsquared at 10:47 PM on May. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• lol ignore her!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:49 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Ignore what she says and do things the way you want to . " I'll do it MY way ! " .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:51 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Sounds like my mom except she's also an alcoholic. I tell her if she knew as much as she says she does she would have been a better mother. Kinda harsh but she thinks shes better than everyone.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 10:51 PM on May. 3, 2011

• don't be too hard on her.....sometimes you might find a pearl of wisdom buried somewhere lol. i miss my mom and wish that she was around to offer advice. my dad remembers zippo lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:52 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My mom was the worse mother... actually I would have traded her in for Joan Crawford. If she tried to tell me anything on raising my kids I told her..." I'd rather do it the right way...but thanks for sharing."
    My daughter ask me for advice from time to time, but since I baby sit her kids I typically call her and ask her what she wants me to do in any given situation...beyond the no brainer stuff. I raised a smart daughter who loves her kids, she's a more progressive woman than I am...and is more up to date on things. I basically keep my pie hole shut..unless I'm asked.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 10:56 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Maybe she DOES.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:01 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Thank you all so much for your advice..
    She lives on the other side of the country, has met my son 3 times in his 16 months and said he shows signs of Autism because he throws things and because he has repetitive behavior and even went as far as calling his doctor (behind my back) to talk to her about her thoughts...Of course it is illegal to give out MY sons info so she was unable to talk to her but I was informed by my sons pediatrician.
    CNAsquared

Comment by CNAsquared (original poster) at 11:04 PM on May. 3, 2011

• lilmommy10805, your mom sounds just like mine. I just eventually stopped telling her anything, now I go to my mother-in-law for my problems. She's more understanding and gives suggestions rather than trying to diagnose my kids and telling me what I'm doing is wrong.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:22 PM on May. 3, 2011

• if you figure it out, let me know!
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 11:56 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My mom was not like that, but we have a family member who has always questioned our parenting. She even took our oldest son to HER doctor when he spent the night at about a year old, insisting he had ear infections. He had never even been sick. Needless to say, there was no ear infection. We still put up with our children telling us all of the questions they are asked by her about how we take care of them. It's insulting, and disgusting to assume that our children aren't cared for, when everyone we know well compliments us on what a great job we do with our children. Even our children are offended by her assumptions and questioning of them.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 1:13 AM on May. 4, 2011