My 5 and half month old son starting solid

pedi told us can give him couple of spoons of solids per day. She mentions banana/avacado/sweat potato. What kind of stage one food can I make for my son that's healthy? Do you usually give bottle first or after? I pump expressed breastmilk and pedi told me keep the bm amt per day and add couple of spoons of solid.

How do you make solid at home, any suggestion on how to make solid or what machine do you use?

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 11:00 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here is an awesome site: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ recipes, guides and ideas.

Always remember that milk is the MAIN food and a bite of solids is just for fun and practice, not for filling him up or anything else.

Always feed after milk.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:02 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Oh and if he can sit up and grab food, no need for stage one. Give soft chunks and let him feed himself and decide the amount.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:03 PM on May. 3, 2011

• You can also get the frozen food in the grocery store like squash it's already pureed and is frozen at its best quality, and do a 6 oz bottle with as many spoonfulls as he wants start with 2-4 bites and see what he likes..
    CNAsquared

Answer by CNAsquared at 11:19 PM on May. 3, 2011

• We used our magic bullet(It's a small blender) to mash up bananas,sweet potatoes,boiled carrots, generally soft stuff. My friend on youtube Carla did a video of how to make rice cereal from like this organic brown rice from scratch and then you freeze it. Let me see if I can get that for you.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 12:53 AM on May. 4, 2011

• My advice is to not rush it. Breastmilk or formula is all a little one needs. If you feel like you must start feeding solids I'd just start with a spoon or two of rice cereal heavily watered down with breastmilk/formula.
    Daltonswife

Answer by Daltonswife at 8:34 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I made all my sons baby food too. Check out the website the first person mentioned www.wholesomebabyfood.com
    My pedi told me this is a great website for info. I made baby foor in the food processor and put it in snack size baggies and froze them flat. they didnt take up any room in the freezer and they stacked well. Sweet potatoes, squash, and carrots were so easy to do.
    Just remember not to boil the veggies, always use a steamer. Boiling removes alot of the nutrients. Boiling carrots actually makes the nitrates double and can be harmful to your baby.
    TWOpeazINaPOD

Answer by TWOpeazINaPOD at 9:47 PM on May. 4, 2011