About that Pet Goat...

For all that people threw hissies about Bush staying in the classroom and reading instead of standing up and running out of the room, has anyone wondered what the kids in the room thought? 10 years later, someone has gone to the trouble of tracking them down due to OBL's demise, and it turns out they think he handled it right:

All sorts of similar kid fears started running through Mariah Williams' head. "I don't remember the story we were reading — was it about pigs?" says Williams, 16. "But I'll always remember watching his face turn red. He got really serious all of a sudden. But I was clueless. I was just seven. I'm just glad he didn't get up and leave because then I would have been more scared and confused." Chantal Guerrero, 16, agrees: even today she's grateful that Bush regained his composure and stayed with the students until The Pet Goat was finished. "I think the President was trying to keep us from finding out," says Guerrero, "so we all wouldn't freak out."

Much more in the full article at the link, including where some of the kids have ended up now.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:09 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• blowing kisses

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:19 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Are you going to tell me that THIS has been brought up on this site too? I am quickly losing my faith in humanity....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:45 PM on May. 3, 2011

• God, I always hated when people would bash him for that. Especially since I knew if he had jumped up and run out, he would have been bashed for that, too.

For the love of all that is good, if you're going to bash, have a reason! Don't agree with the POTUS's policies? Great, say so. But don't have a hissy just because you can.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:47 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Well....I didn't bash him for reading the story to the kids. It would have scared them if he got up and dashed out of the room. He looked stunned but tried to keep calm and carry on. Fine with me. Who bashed him?
    I am wondering what brought this on? LOL.
    WHat is the 'pet goat' thing?
    Interesting.......
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:51 PM on May. 3, 2011

• And again leading up to the election, and again after Obama was inaugurated, and again any time anyone criticized Obama for anything in the first 6 months.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:57 PM on May. 3, 2011

• "The Pet Goat" was the name of the book he was reading.

As for people dogging Bush, here's a site that claims his reaction proved that he was, more or less, involved in the wrecking of the twin towers.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:06 AM on May. 4, 2011

• So....how did they come to the conclusion that he wrecked the towers ONLY because he kept on reading a story? LOL. That's unreal.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:13 AM on May. 4, 2011

• His remaining with the children and finishing the story was one thing I have always admired. He knew that there was nothing he could do at that moment to change anything that had already happened and that he (as the POTUS) was not in danger. So, he focused on what he could change -- he kept those babies innocent just a little while longer. I never understood how anyone could have faulted him for that.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:20 AM on May. 4, 2011

• – collapse
    Bush used those children as a scapegoat. A scapegoat because he was too dunderheaded to handle the situation.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:12 AM on May. 4, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Bush used those children as a scapegoat. A scapegoat because he was too dunderheaded to handle the situation.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm 2 hours ago

I think this qualifies as one the the more dense comments I have seen.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:55 AM on May. 4, 2011