A.d.d

Is it too late to have my kids tested for attention deficit disorder they are 9 and 12 and 13 my oldest seems fine. I noticed myself that I have a hard time focusing,and my my mind wanders so I';m wondering if I have something wrong with me,I was never diagnosed as a child cause my dad didn't believe in it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Health

• Its never too late. I was diagnosed at 30.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:20 PM on May. 3, 2011

• No. My daughter wasn't diagnosed until 8 because I was afraid doctors were just handing out ADD/ADHD diagnoses. Turns out she actually has ADHD, and I was just fooling myself. Talk to the pediatrician...
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 11:22 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I was diagnosed in my 20's and it is a hereditary condition. Just make sure to approach having ADD as that it's a benefit, not a disorder. There is a fine line between Gifted students and kids in Special classes with ADD. ADD is actually an advantage to have.
    kingsd77

Answer by kingsd77 at 12:01 AM on May. 4, 2011

• You're never too old to be assessed for ADHD ... in fact, the pharmaceutical companies would love to make your kids patients for life.

Please, I implore you to tread lightly when it comes to this decision and do your research. You will be told all kinds of things, that ADHD is a neurological condition (a problem with dopamine and serotonin and the synapses in the brain; there is absolutely no scientific research to support this) that is only treatable with psychotropic medication. Over 1/2 of all psychiatric disorders (ADHD included) are caused by underlying physical illness (this is supported by research). I have not only researched the topic for close to 20 years but have gone through it with my children. You need to be informed but note that the doctors you will be referred to have only one mindset. Do your own research to make an informed decision.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on May. 4, 2011