Do you agree with homeschooling ?

Why or why not ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Yes, if you try at all. If you are just gonna let the kid play PS3 or watch tv all day then, no.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:32 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I think there are some people homeschooling is right for, and some it's not.

I think BOTH parents have to be on board, and I think that not every child will do as well with homeschooling as others.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:33 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Absolutely! I'm actually about to start homeschooling my dd. She's gone to public school for K-4, and I'm sick of it! From the lack of funding to the bullies, I honestly can't name 10 things that are GOOD about public schooling... And everyone I know from private schools are WORSE than those from public ones, so that wasn't an option for us, either. My dd's 4th grade class has 23 kids and one teacher with no assistant. The teacher is paying for her own copies, which means my child isn't getting all of the worksheets she would've had were the funds available... They have 2 computers (slow dinosaurs) in the classroom, and the projector doesn't work half the time! (The teacher was using the projector for the worksheets so at least the kids could use them, but it broke) Honestly, you can learn in 1-2 hours what it takes public school a full day to cover... The freedom that comes with homeschooling is also great.
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 11:38 PM on May. 3, 2011

• It wasn't the right thing for our family, but has the potential to be wonderful. Unfortunately the majority of homeschool families I have had contact with were not impressive. They were not dedicated to the effort it requires. One family we know did a great job, and were involed with something almost like a co-op for subjects they were weak in, those kids were getting a great education.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:42 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I don't. Because I don't think that sciences can be taught sufficiently without access to a fully equipped lab. Keep in mind that I haven't researched what homeschoolers do to properly teach biology and chemistry. I also wonder how prepared homechooled kids are for college. I know someone who went to a charter school with a very low student to teacher ratio and because he Always had someone hounding him about studying and doing his homework, he never learned to be independent wnd failedmedically in college. I also know a girl who was home schooled and is in college studying history.
    I think it's right for some kids if there are violence and bullying issues at school, but if it'd just the education they are receiving that is bothersome, you can still supplement at home. I plan to be very involved in my child's education, but not doing it all at home.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:42 PM on May. 3, 2011

• just as a little reply to kitkat --- when i was in school we never did anything with a "lab" ... we learned things from charts and read about other people doing labs lol..... However I have seen several "labs" ( of different levels and such) that i could purchase ( some of them cheap and some of them expensive) , therefore my kids could do that...

Alot of parents are starting to homeschool here because even though there are several of them to chose from, they are all pretty bad.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:51 PM on May. 3, 2011

• – collapse
    NO WAY, Kids thrive for social situations. They not only have to learn whats in the books, but they have to learn how to interact with several different people in order to be successful in life. Thats just my opion though.
    kingsd77

Answer by kingsd77 at 11:52 PM on May. 3, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Also ( I wanted to add this but hit enter before I did ) .... My children are in alot of activites, they have alot more friends now than when they were in school.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:54 PM on May. 3, 2011

• i thought about home schooling my daughter. i decided against it because i don't want it to affect her social skills. also she would not be able to be in any school groups or sports. BUT home school children are in a safer environment and would have less distractions.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 11:55 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Nope. I think school teaches more than math, science and reading... Things like how to deal with bullies and how to deal with people you have NOTHING in common with are just as important as academics. Homeschooled children are often in with sports or other groups in order to get socialization, but these groups still provide a common interest and often a constant supervisor, which does not allow them to actually learn how to function when they are the "odd ball out" or with people who seem to be their complete opposite. Regular schools do. I also think it would be impossible for any one average parent to have all the education needed to properly educate, unless they resort to an online schooling program and have teachers.

cont.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:57 PM on May. 3, 2011