Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

How do I leave my husband if I have nothing?

I have hardly any money to my name. How would I get a place to live with no job? I'd have enough to pay the first month and deposit, but would anyone approve me? Is there a way to apply for government assistance and still keep your kids? Or would the fact that I don't have a job yet or anyone to watch them while I work make my husband get custody? Where do I start?


Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Get a a money...PLAN ....THEN when you have a work history and a savings account, ask friends and relatives for support amd leave. PLAN first and learn to take care of yourself. Be your own best friend. Be self-sufficent , don't get involved with government assistence. It might take time, but plan ahead and prepare.

    Answer by minnesotanice at 12:40 AM on May. 4, 2011

  • its very hard for a court system to take the mother out of their childrens lives. If you need help, their are programs out there. Your local SRS office, the health dept, the salvation army, the red cross, shelters have programs also. Section 8 or hud housing are options also.

    Answer by tayshu4 at 11:35 PM on May. 3, 2011

  • I'll have about $2500 to start with and no bills to my name, if that helps.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:34 PM on May. 3, 2011

  • it is extremely hard for a mother to lose her kids. you will not lose your children for being on government assistance. you can also get ABC vouchers, which will pay or help pay for childcare so that you would be able to work. you could also live with someone else and would be able to keep custody of your kids.

    Answer by TiffanieK at 11:35 PM on May. 3, 2011

  • It depends on your situation really...but some women's shelters can offer assistance getting on your feet if you are a victim of domestic violence.
    They don't take away the kids from a mom in your situation...those are not grounds..

    Answer by CallMeAngie at 11:39 PM on May. 3, 2011

  • There hasn't been any domestic violence, just emotional abuse towards me. He's a great father, but thinks that bc he has all the money that I wouldn't be able to keep our kids. I just don't know where to even begin. I haven't worked in so long and know pretty much nothing about living on my own. I want to cry bc I feel so lost and alone.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:41 PM on May. 3, 2011

  • I take it my first step is to divorce him an stay n a hotel until I can apply for government aid? I don't even know how to do that. I've never been on assistance before. I don't want to be, but I think I may have to for a short time until i can figure out how to do this on my own.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:43 PM on May. 3, 2011

  • have you left yet?
    if not then no thats not your first step
    your first step decide to go to work talk it over with you dh and tell him you think it will be a positive move for your self esteme....
    then look for work get yourself established and work on these things if you dh says no do it anyway behind his back your gonna leave you might as well have a job before you do.

    Answer by traren at 12:25 AM on May. 4, 2011

  • as long as you and your kids aren't in danger then stick it out a little planning on your part can go along way.
    when you get your job and he see's your not helpless who know's he may even change and start showing you more respect.
    anyway you 'll have a goal and if things don't change you'll be able to take care of your self. you can start by going to the unemployment office and talk to some one there. they can be a world of help they know alot about assistance in your area !!!!

    Answer by traren at 12:32 AM on May. 4, 2011