Fluent in Spanish?

I took two years in high school, but clearly that didn't help... I still know like months, numbers, alphabet, days, colors, and just really simple things. But to conversate, not likely. I would really like to be able to join in my SO's familys conversations at family get togethers. Or go to his moms house WITHOUT him, but he has to translate for me and her, because her english isn't well and my spanish isn't well.. Can someone help me out please.. He teases me on it and we joke, but I am determined to learn the language so I can just come out of the blue and start a conversation with him or his mom. She would be proud of me :) lol.. Pleaseeeeeee....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on May. 3, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• i was engaged to a south african. his mother spoke english fine but would purposely speak africaans to make me feel excluded. so atleast they WANT to talk to you.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 11:53 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Wow that is crazy!! I would be mad!! I am going to do everything I can to learn it better so I can talk to her, she told him she thinks I hate her.. She just don't understand I don't understand her when she speaks to me, so I look rude..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:58 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Can you find someone fluent in Spanish to get together with? Go out to dinner and try to speak only Spanish.

Also, start checking out books in Spanish at the library. Start with children's books you know, then go to novels you are familiar with. Have a dictionary next to you, but halfway through the book you will barely need it. I was incredibly more fluent when reading in Spanish than when I don't use it!

Try out your Spanish by watching some Telemundo or Univision. News, soap operas, Sabado Gigante... it doesn't much matter as long as you're hearing the pronunciation and grammar of a conversation; pick what looks interesting. Or watch favorite movies with the Spanish track on (if the DVD offers it).

And don't wait until you are perfect to pull out the espanol on your MIL - you'll pick it up quicker when you're using it, and you'll understand HER better the more you speak with her (PS - in person is easier than on phone)
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 12:09 AM on May. 4, 2011

• My in-laws are Hispanic too and I did a lot of learning using the free language learning website livemocha, and Rosetta Stone, but what really helped me learn was being around it. I went from knowing basic things, to having conversations in under a year. I've been living in Mexico for almost a year and I get around just fine without my husband now. Hang out with your in-laws as much as you can and absorb their conversations. Pick out words you know and try to put 2 and 2 together to understand what they're talking about. It gets easier the more you're around it. =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:13 AM on May. 4, 2011

• My bf is mex and i only took a 1 of spanish clase in school, i learnt the alpabet. When i went to a bday party for the first time to meet the family OMG iwas like what the f*****. So I started asking him how ho you say this and that reading everthing in spanish music tv etc.. Y ahora ya la agaro un poco es no bein pero es mejor que nada. Aka now i got it little bit its better than nothing
    flaka500

Answer by flaka500 at 12:18 AM on May. 4, 2011

• http://www.learnspanishtoday.com/cmd.php?af=1182712

http://www.livemocha.com

TV in Spanish with English subtitles (DVDs are good for this)

Destinos
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on May. 4, 2011

• try google.com and type in spanish
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:22 AM on May. 10, 2011