Real Quick

Hi Mommies,

Real quick before i head to bed, i have been struggling to get my DS to drink water at bed time. He doesn't drink a whole of it without me adding a splash of juice or something. Anyways, i don't want to send him to bed with anything but water but he wont drink it and he just screams and screams and cries. He does NOT give up until i have him something different. So this is what i have been doing, i sometimes give him sparkling flavored water, sometimes gartorade, caprison roaring waters, or plain water with a few drop of the MIO flavoring they have out now. What really is the best thing to give him in substitution from regular water. I KNOW several mommies will say to just give him regular water but im asking what else could i do, are any of the above items okay at bed time? Thanks!

Xtina0828

Asked by Xtina0828 at 12:00 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would not give him anything if it has sugar in it and his little teeth don't get brushed between drinking and bedtime. How about just something like adding a little Crystal Light to water to give it a little taste?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:03 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I could try that, but i didnt think the MIO stuff had sugar in it, and the sparkling water has zero sugar.
    Xtina0828

Comment by Xtina0828 (original poster) at 12:06 AM on May. 4, 2011

• As long as it's mostly water, and doesn't have sugar, I don't think there's a problem... Maybe you could try a drop of food coloring and try tricking him into thinking it's something else???
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 12:09 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I would stay away from artificial sweeteners and anything with sugar since he just brushed his teeth. If the sparkling water works you may just want to stick with that.
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 12:09 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I have tried coloring it before and he didn't like it, he tried it lol but took a sip of it and threw it lol. My DH, (his father) doesn't drink or like water either. I know its different with him being an adult but i just want my sons health to be kept up on so i want to make sure his teeth are being taken care of.
    Xtina0828

Comment by Xtina0828 (original poster) at 12:12 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I would stick with the flavored waters that's what we do with my ds it seems to work. Good luck.
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 12:27 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Maybe squeeze some lemon or orange in there for him?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:49 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Just stop buying the stuff and tell him it ran out. Giving it to him at bed time is the worst possible time.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:50 AM on May. 4, 2011

• My girls used to only drink it from a water bottle, have you tried that?
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:38 AM on May. 4, 2011

• As long as you have more water than the other stuff you should be okay. Our local grocery store (giant eagle) had a brand of flavored water that is super yummy and has not sugar or anything else in it. You do need to be careful about what sweeteners are in it because of his little teeth but again if it is just a small amount, I can't imagine it would be too bad.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:17 AM on May. 4, 2011