A different twist to Mother's Day... would you take the challenge?

YEARS ago our Women's Minister challenged us in the weeks leading up to Mother's Day: Get Serious About Celebrating BEING a Mom.

Out of that challenge (and the weeks of study and prayer leading up to it) Mother's Day at our house changed. It became the day that I celebrate the gifts God gave me - my children. Mother's Day became about them and the blessing bestowed on me to be chosen to be their mom.

Every year - I do something extra special for my kids on Mother's Day.

Out of that new tradition, new traditions have been born over the years. We still celebrate their birthdays like we always have - but about 5 years after the new Mother's Day tradition began - unexpectedly I got a Thank You letter from my oldest son - On His Birthday, and he's written me a letter every year since. Two years later, a letter came from my youngest on his birthday, and I still get them.

I still get the traditional Mother's Day cards, and they still get regular birthday cards and stuff. But now each day is extra special. In turn, I now send my own mother a Letter of Love on my birthday.

Lesson: Teach your kids and in turn you will learn from them.

How can you take Mother's Day to the next level, a level beyond flowers, a level that's more than just the typical?

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 1:43 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Just for Fun

• i have never made mothers day about myself. i always think of my child and how wonderful it is to be a mother to him. i like to get him a small gift or take him to a movie or something.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:40 AM on May. 4, 2011