Lab good family dog?

Were getting a 13 week old black lab tomorrow. Are they good family dogs? We have a 3 and 2 year old and want a baby here in a few years,so would a lab be a good compainion for us?

AutumnsMom1212

Asked by AutumnsMom1212 at 1:59 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Pets

• Labs are quite easy to train and friendly. They are very easy to house train. They are very affectionate and loyal and tolerant. They are good family pets, but not until about age 2, they take some time to mature.

On the flip side, they go through an active puppy stage with a lot of puppy biting. They like to jump up and can knock over the children. They are also incredibly interested in food...all the time. Without proper handling/'training they steal food off counters/tables and will eat anything that is not nailed down. They also pick everything up in their mouth, like socks, rocks and mulch.They can be protective as well.

If you want to avoid the bad manners, start training that puppy right away and use an established, experienced, professional dog training school...avoid the pet stores, if possible. 13 weeks is the time to begin, do not wait any longer.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:17 AM on May. 4, 2011

• They need a LOT of interaction and outdoor time/activity...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:51 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Great choice, couple of words of advice.............obedience training..........and remember that labs (those wonderful wonderful dogs!) stay puppies until they are about 2 or 3......very active babies they are. Have fun!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:36 PM on May. 4, 2011

• All the labs I've had have been great family dogs. Mine have all been shelter saves though and Lab mixes, but my lab mutts have been the best dogs ever. We actually have a lab mix now and she's 3 we saved her from being put to sleep and she's my son's shadow. They're best friends!
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:22 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Labs are good family dogs. We've always done the mutt/rescue route, but labs are good choice.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:15 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Your getting a lab tomorrow and your just now asking this? Have you done any research on the breed at all? If you haven't, you need to sit down and read up on them before bringing that puppy home. Labs can be wonderful family pets however they do require A LOT of excersise more then what your kids can provide. The dog would love the play time with them however they need time to run or swim. Something that would really wear them out. I have an almost 7 year old Lab that I have to run with my bike (or take to the river)  everyday otherwise he is boucing off the walls because he has to much pent up energy. Labs can also be very destructive if they get bored and are not getting the excersise they need. Beau is a wonderful dog, a big overgrown clown but when he does not get that excersise he is like a hyperactive child. 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:06 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I love Labs, big ol' dumb happy dogs. they are great family dogs but are a tad on the hyper side and need attention like crazy. I plan on getting one this summer when all the dogs start jumping fences and we have the "oops I didn't know" puppies coming up in the papers.. I will take a lab over any other dog for my family!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:56 AM on May. 4, 2011

• We have had 2 labs. Our 1st one was a full lab last chance rescue. He was wonderful with out newborn. He was around til our son was one. They got along so well. We also have a lab chow mix also a abandoned dog. She is the same way. Her and my son play and have a wonderful time together. I was worried since we had the dog first but it was never a issue. Ours have been perfect family dogs.
    aus14

Answer by aus14 at 9:21 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes. They are wonderful family dogs. Very dosile but protective. We had a black lab we called Mikie, my kids grew up with. The kids are grown and Mikie is gone but what a wonderful joy he was. He was my youngest sons constant companion. He enhanced my families lives in so many ways. So yes...
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 9:48 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Labs are actually huge biters. One of the top ten I think it is.

They need a TON of energy. If they don't have that energy outlet, they will find something to do and it will be something you don't like. 2 and 3 year old children run a huge risk of being knocked down by an over zealous, bouncing lab puppy, so you will have to exercise caution around the dog and kids. You have to train your kids to be gentle, as well as your dog.

You wil lwant to go to training classes with the puppy as well..and keep up the training at home. Find the dog a crate and tell your children when the dog is in the crate to leave the dog alone, that is it's home and the place where it goes to be left alone. DO NOT allow them to bother the dog...no tail pulling, sitting on, jumping on, riding, kicking etc.

A dog is not something you get AND THEN ask about, you ask and then get a dog.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:51 AM on May. 4, 2011