Where is the chivalry?

Boarded the train the other day and noticed many more men seated and more women standing and no offers of seats in my eyeview. ????

Liveyourlifeval

Asked by Liveyourlifeval at 2:45 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• i never got the men should accommodate women thing especially if they don't know each other. i mean the gesture would be nice but a lot of women have the mentality that men should cater to them stranger or not. if the train was filled with women, and one man was standing, would one of the women be expected to offer their seat to the man ? first come first served/ seated imo. we wanted equal rights... (which is a good thing i would not have it any other way).
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 2:52 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Women wanted to be treated the same.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 12:31 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Sounds like there was none that day ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:09 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Seats on public transportation are first come, first serve. Unless a person is obviously elderly, handicapped, or hugely pregnant, I don't think they should expect anyone to give up a seat for them. And if you are one of the above, it doesn't hurt to offer a smile and say, "I'm sorry if this sounds presumptuous, but I have _____ condition and would really appreciate it if I could sit down for a few minutes."

But really, I still see chivalry everywhere. Men open doors for me, offer to carry my groceries, seat me first at a restaurant.......and I like it. But I also welcome it. I don't give off the vibe of being an "independent woman" who doesn't want any help. I offer a smile, look them in the eye, and thank them.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 6:10 PM on May. 4, 2011