How do i explain puberty to my 11 yr old girl?

also how can i get her to read one of those puberty books?

i got her one once but when she opened the book there were pics of the stages of breast deoveloment and she freacked out and ran to her room

also her school doesnt teach about puberty but i think in the high school she is going to next year they will teach about it so i kinda want her to know something about it :)

bubblegum_mum

Asked by bubblegum_mum at 7:00 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• You can find pamphlets at the doctors office and with her school nurse. Just sit down and read it with her. Then answer any questions she has.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:08 AM on May. 4, 2011

• @salemwitchchild
    thanks :) i might go get one from the doctors
    bubblegum_mum

Comment by bubblegum_mum (original poster) at 7:12 AM on May. 4, 2011

• We didnt do books with my dd. I sat down with her and explained I knew it would be embaressing to talk about, it wasnt easy for me either, but there were things she needed to know because her body was turning into a body of a woman. I made it sound really cool like she was growing up and mine listened.

Answer by gemgem at 7:32 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I would just tell her how it is. I hate when people beat around the bush. I would sit her down and tell her she growin up and explain to her whats gonna happen, and if she doesnt like it too bad its gonna happen anyway.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 8:03 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I just told my 9 year old straight up, exactly what was going to happen, what it would feel like, etc. I tried to be as open as possible, and apparently I did an okay job because she does come to me with questions and I hope she will continue! I don't think books are a bad idea. I gave her 2 - one that was mine when I was a preteen and one new one (the American Girl one). We read the American Girl one together and then I left it in her room in case she wanted to look over certain parts again or at a greater length. At 9 we did mostly the changes in her body that are going to happen. She knows about sex and a very little about birth control - those are topics we need to expand on in the next few years as she grows.

Answer by missanc at 8:51 AM on May. 4, 2011

• http://www.circleofmoms.com/christian-mommies/when-puberty-kicks-in-399282
    turtldov

Answer by turtldov at 7:26 PM on May. 4, 2011

• At her age, she should have already had the puberty movie in school. It is done in 4th and 5th grade. The girls have their movie and the boys have theirs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:54 AM on May. 5, 2011

• You just need to sit down with her with the book you got her or pamhlets. I agree by this age they have had talks and movies in grade school unless you opted out of that for your child.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 5:28 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My dd will be 9 next week and I got her the American Girls book (from Walmart) and we've set aside us time together to read it one page at a time and then talk about what we read. That gives me a chance to add things here and there, and it gives her a chance to ask questions, make comments and so on. Its worked out well thus far...
    daina82

Answer by daina82 at 11:03 PM on May. 6, 2011