Will she ever pick up after herself?

So in Dec my DH lost his job and we relocated. We are living with MIL for now till we get back on our feet. (I am also 39w pregnant). I admit, I'm not a clean freak. But my MIL is. So I do my best to be a good guest and make sure the house stays clean. DD however is making that difficult. Basically she leaves her clothing anywhere she changes them. Doesn't matter where, if she took it off there, its laying on the floor somewhere. I try taking things away, I give the speech about how MIL is a nice woman, but lets not piss her off. Yada yada. She will apologize, say she "forgot" and pick up the item I am bitching about. But then repeats it the next time. I don't know what to do to get her to pick her stuff up! I can't just take cloths away. Hell she doesn't have many cloths at the moment so she needs every bit of them. What would you do??

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 7:06 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• How old is she? My 10 yr use to do that too so I chose to pay him or reward him, but
    not with money, but with extras such as allowing him more time at a friends, at the park,
    riding his bike longer, staying up longer at bedtime (even on a school night) BUT it was not t
    a given deal, he HAD to earn it and that meant us putting guidelines down as to what HE was
    responsible to do ALL the time, not just when he wanted to and this included his grades in school,
    (which was never an issue with him. he is a 3.99 GPA)...
    And when we started this it didn't take over night and his bdrm is something to be desired, but he is
    keeping up with other things that is still allowing the rewards...and wither or not your DD likes it or not
    she is most likely old enough to know better, but is choosing not to... and I would tell her so just like that..

GL...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:15 AM on May. 4, 2011

• She's 9. Yes she knows better. She is very forgetful though. Easily distracted and then doesn't remember to go back and pick stuff up. Its not just with this that she's forgetful though. Like I said, easily distracted.

With our situation, she really doesn't have a whole lot going on right now. She has no friends here other than two small girls who she can't play with half the time anyway. (Their Gmom keeps them locked in the house most days). So she sits here and is bored. I feel bad because I'm so pregnant and don't want to be out all the time. I'm always exhausted and thats not going to change when the baby gets here.

DD's grades are very good too so that isn't an issue. Only things I really can take away is TV time. She lost that privilege for a week for loosing grandpa's remote control. And snacks which I try to limit anyway.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 7:20 AM on May. 4, 2011

• If she's like my DD, she will..........When she gets her Own home! lol

turtldov

Answer by turtldov at 7:21 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I know you said that you didn't want to do this, but the only thing I can recommend is taking away her clothes as she leaves them on the floor. If she doesn't have many to begin with , then after having to wear the same things a few times in a row she will get a clue and start to clean up after herself. My friend had to go about this with all of her children (4, 8 and 11). This definitely helped keep her house cleaner and her kids know not to leave stuff lying around the house.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:29 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Work with your DD to find a way to help her remember -- a check list maybe, or a note on her bedroom door to get her things and put them away

Maybe she needs a better system, more storage, or a better habit/routine to help her remember
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:24 PM on May. 5, 2011