What do you say about a 26 year old who is un-potty trained

yep. you heard me right.. his mother was too busy with all of her men callers to actually potty train her own son. to this day he squats over the toilet and truly doesnt understand the toilet paper holder... i am trying to walk him through it slowly but it IS Extreamly difficult to UN-do 26 years of damage. we will have our first child in Oct. and i hope that by then he will have it down enough to be able to help properly teach our child(i plan to do this for the most part)... i am totally blown away by this and wouldnt even have known why if he didnt tell me accidently... it did explain the 'sh*t on the walls' though... any input may help, but it is totally different than training a babe..... im not giving up though.. hes a Great Man with a wonderful heart, just neglected as a child. and yes i wish i could banish his mother back to the hole she crawled out of.

jayme009

Asked by jayme009 at 7:17 AM on May. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Do you think he is afraid of germs on the toilet? Get one of those box of disenfectant wipes to keep on the back of the toilet, for ehat ever reason he is afraid to sit on it,, his mother sounds like a fruitcake btw. I bet you were amazed when you discovered this!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:58 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I don't even know what to say. Seriously? I would think after 26 years it would be kind of common sense. If a 3yr old can do it a 26yr old can do it. Why the hell is there shit on the wall? My ds NEVER EVER once had shit on the wall.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:20 AM on May. 4, 2011

• this does not sound like a man who was notpotty trained...it sounds like agroen man that is into a dodo fetish....If he is not mentally handicapped....I would quit fooling myself.....cause he maybe fooling you. How many times at 26 years of age do you have totell him this and come one...shit on the walls....you must be pulling our legs...thanks for the laugh
    redcow1952

Answer by redcow1952 at 7:56 AM on May. 4, 2011

• It does seem a little odd, and it is not a skill that cant be mastered in a matter of days by an adult! Is this your DH? IDK you would think you would have noticed the odor when you met him! Kind of hard to believe...sorry not trying to be mean!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:31 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Kids learn by watching, show and tell time. Maybe that could help?

Good luck
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:28 AM on May. 4, 2011

• If he doesn't have a developmental disability he is a fucking idiot. I'm sorry, if he functions normally outide of the bathroom and learned that perfectly fine, whats wrong with the toilet? I'm sure he's seen other people use the toilet either on tv or somewhere. At 26 he should learn something like that by just looking at it once. wtf? If my man ever told me something like that I would tell him to grow up and show him once how to wipe his own ass and if he didnt get it the first time, he would SOL.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 7:58 AM on May. 4, 2011

• My mother once questioned my step fathers bathroom habits after always seeing his underwear in bad shape. He said he only wipes once. He is 52! I really don't know what to say. There are just so many things that men should get the hang of after seeing it only a few times! Shaving, Driving....
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 8:12 AM on May. 4, 2011

• This is REALLY sad he is VERY lucky to have you. GL
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 8:52 AM on May. 4, 2011

• You know, all you can do is talk him through it. The good news is that it will be easier than training a 3 year old because he can 'get it' faster. I totally believe that this can happen because my best friend said she was older before her oldest sister ever told her that she is supposed to wipe with toilet paper when she pees, because her mom never taught her at all. Her mom didn't even use toilet paper and neither did the youngest child. She said her oldest sister learned from other people about hygiene, deodorant and all that and thankfully passed it on when Tammy was older, but should have already been doing these things.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:12 AM on May. 4, 2011

• i have seen little babes 'kinda scared' to sit on a potty, and i think that is whats going on.. and i am the first to be concerned enough to try and figure this out... the shit on the walls is because he doesn't sit down and at first he had all kinds of 'reasons' to not sit down, then one day it slipped out that no one(his mother) never told him to sit down while pooping... he thought he was supposed to stand like he did when he pee pee'd like a boy... his last girlfriend was a terrible drunk and could barely take care of herself, let alone try to help someone else... i know the 'kind of Father' he wants to be(a million times better than his own) and i will not turn my back to him like his family did.. this IS TOTALLY embarrising for me and i have tried to ask my mom but she has no idea what to do. really i love him to death and just want him to know that there ARE people in this world who WONT turn their backs or let him down
    jayme009

Comment by jayme009 (original poster) at 7:31 AM on May. 4, 2011