Help! My daughter's room is so cold!!

Our house is somewhat old and needs new windows which we can't afford right now. My DH put up some plastic weather stuff on the window & an air flow direction thing on the heat vent (which is on the floor) and I bought some thermal curtains, but it's still the coldest room in the house! We bundle her up at night in a warm sleeper and many blankets, but I'm still worried it's too cold. Any low cost ideas to help me keep the heat in? I don't want to use a portable heater.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Without using a portable heater I think you have done all what you can at this point. Is there insulation in her walls? That may be another reason why her room is cold, I would check to be sure since you say it's an old house.

Anonymous

• You can go downstairs and see what the insulation looks like. If there is none you can go to home depot or lowes and get some and have dh staple it up.

Answer by gemgem at 5:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• is the vent open in her room and the basement
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I live in an old house as well and I think what shes saying is she doesnt want to bring in a heater because of the risk of fire and her child being in another room and maybe not knowing what to do. Its likely the insulation in the home and I know the first year in ours we had no idea how cold it would get. It happens. We moved my dds toddler bed into our room this year because its very cold in her room. It sucks but our landlord hasnt been all that snappy in fixing things. Once we get some cash we will fix it ourselves, or move.

Answer by gemgem at 5:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My room is the same way. I use a warm air vaporizer. It really warms up the room and adds humidity.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• m.robertson811 ~ that is extremely unnecessary. She's asking for help and not just letting her child "freeze". Good grief, you say you don't want to judge but you did.

Anyway, not sure of the set up in your room but try moving her bed to the innermost walls. Our son's room is always the coldest too and I'm not into portable heaters either. We move his bed away from any outside walls and put thermal pjs on him and a heavy comforter. When I check him at night ~ he's always toasty warm. Also, we close off all the vents downstairs before bed so the warm air is forced completely upstairs. How does she feel when you check her? Is her skin cold or warm?

I agree also with the other ladies about checking the insulation. My FIL just found out that his one outer wall is so old it never had insulation put in. It's a fix that you guys to do yourselves.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 5:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Ooh good idea "pupmom"! I actually just read the other day about using a humidifier to warm up the air in a room. Moisture means warmth. Good idea!
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 5:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• To m.robertson811- Ok, I'm not letting my child freeze. It does not get below 66 degrees in the house at night and she is wearing a fleece sleeper with thick socks underneath, a fleece blanket and a comforter. I was just concerned about whether or not she was comfortable....being a worrying first-time Mom. She's not waking up and crying, so I assume she is fine, since she always lets me know if she is unhappy/uncomfortable. I was simply worried and wondered if another Mom had a good idea to help with a drafty window. You should NOT judge one without all the facts. Thanks for being such a bitch and so unsupportive. A genuine thanks to those with CONSTRUCTIVE answers.
    Anonymous

• Sorry OP that you seem to be getting slammed by moms on here, I would use the report this answer to make the CM Team aware of the posts.

On your topic. I grew up in a trailer. My sister and I shared a room and it was horribly cold in there, it was the furthest point away from the heat source. We used warm pjs and blankets. Remember too that body temps rise while you are sleeping, so chances are that your daughter is not feeling the coldness while she's sleeping.

I would suggest doing as someone else mentioned and using a warm mist humidifier, as this may help to warm up the air, however more than likely as others have said, it's probably from poor insulation in the walls.
    jennmarie77

Answer by jennmarie77 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You could also try putting a heating pad under your child's crib sheet and cutting it on low about 30 min before bed time and then cut it off and unplug it when you lay her down. That'll make her crib nice and cozy and the blankets should help keep the heat in as she sleeps.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2008