Suggestions for homemade gifts

My SIL is freaking out about Christmas. My MIL makes this big deal about Christmas and it is all about topping the year before. Well, we tried to propose a secret santa or just buy for the kids type of thing(me, DH, and SIL talked about doing this) and MIL shot it down. So SIL is stressed out because she doesn't want to be shunned essentially by her mother for not being able to afford things. I am helping her make gifts this year to help ease her stress. What have people done in the past? Someone mentioned salt molds of her children's hands and I was wondering if anyone knew how to do that. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Holidays

• A basket of cookies is always yummy. That's one thing I am doing... Try looking up craft sites like.. http://www.holidaycrafter.com/index.html or http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/specialfeature/christmas-crafts-ms/ or http://www.craftathome.com/ hope that helps some.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I'm making baskets full of different kinds of goods such as an eccletic family cookbook with pictures and each family members favorite recipes, homemade moonshine, bath salts and art work from my daughter. There are also some really cute picture frames made from pinecones that I'm going to take a swing at in last months Martha Stewart magazine.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 5:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Last year my mother wrote out all of her family recipes and mailed them to my sister in a little index card recipe box who is 2000 miles away. One year I made scrapbooks for all the family that lives out of town. One year, I think last year, we made my mother and my MIL poems plaques.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Ive done family scrapbooks for heirlooms, you can also do the self made photo frames,

Try google Christmas craft ideas, that always works for me
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 9:04 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I am doing necklaces for my family. We spent only $50 but that was for enough beads (real stones too!) and supplies to make 7 necklaces.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I'm making sweatshirts with my children's pictures. One we're doing the reindeer and with the handprint antlers. Money is so tight this year for us so I'm getting "crafty" as well! :D My MIL is the same, last year money was super tight and we were trying to cut back. She asks me "Don't you want to know what I want for Christmas?" Of course I said yes and she wanted a $150 toothbrush! Of course we got it, but it wasn't with the usual holiday cheer! :D
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 5, 2008