When to keep little one home from school?

This is going to sound ridiculous and I know that there is no right answer. But when they are saying they are not feeling well what is your criteria in letting them stay home. I don't want her to get others sick. I don't want her to be miserable. I kept her home yesterday and she really should have gone to school. Today she seems worse but I don't want her to miss a ton of school. I feel like a dumb dumb. So how do you decide?

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 7:32 AM on May. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I check temps. If they have anything over 100 they dont go.

Answer by gemgem at 7:33 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree with the above ladies, my DS is in this age group too. If I keep him home I usually let him stay in pjs all day on the couch playing video games and he seems just fine or has the energy to "argue" with me when I tell him to turn it off then it's definitely time to go back to school :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 7:50 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I usually send them unless they are throwing up, diarrhea or fever. Once in schol they forget they don't feel good. The nurse will call you if she needs to.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:58 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Temps over 100, throwing up or diarrhea.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:47 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Fever over 100 plus one other symptom is our schools policy.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:48 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Let em stay home, it wont kill anybody.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 8:01 AM on May. 4, 2011

• My DS plays this game with me all the time, what are her symptoms, if she has runny nose or cough, even without a fever I would be tempted to keep her home, if it is the "mickey mouse" stomach ache, I would send her to go school. I call it that because Mickey mouse comes on right after DS goes to school, it always seems that the stomach pain goes away after the TV show,, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:16 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I follow school rules---fever over 100, vomiting, or diarrhea. Anything else you go and if you are really sick, the school will call me. So often, we are contagious before we even show symptoms so I don't worry too much about getting others sick. It's going to happen.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 9:18 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Check and see what the school policy is. Ours is any fever over 100, rash, excessive coughing, vomitting, diarrhea. Also, the fever and symptoms have to be gone for 24 hours WITHOUT help of medication. IF you think your child is contagious then keep them home. Oh and if there is any pus coming out of the eye or a lot of nasal discharge, keep them home.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:57 AM on May. 4, 2011

• If they are coughing uncontrollably even with cough medicine, are super hot to the touch (we don't have a thermometer), throwing up or listless they can stay home. Otherwise they get Tylenol and go to school.
    My kids haven't missed a day of school yet this year. They rarely ever get sick so it doesn't come up much.
    I've also let my son stay home for his migraines. He's also come home early with them several times. I know how much they suck so I cut him some slack. He's 9 but hasn't had any lately.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:17 PM on May. 4, 2011