Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Answer Question

Asked by MomNeedUrHelp at 5:30 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Adoption

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Can I ask why you are trying to get your baby back 9 months later?

    Answer by feesharose at 5:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • Pro-Bono? No where. Not for an adoption reversal. You can try legal aid but they dont usually take those sorts of cases. Unless there is a real reason to reverse the adoption then it likely wont happen anyway (like you didnt understand the paperwork, something wasnt done right, it was somehow illegal etc).

    Answer by gemgem at 5:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • I agree with the PP, nowhere. Unless you were wronged in the process no one is going to fight for you for free. This chilld has been away from you for 9 months and has a bond with the family. I would seriously consider the possible damage to him and this family should you choose to do this.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • I agree with the other two posters. You gave this child up and he has formed a bond with a new mother, don't rip him from the only home he's ever known. Despite the fact that he is still a baby that could have everlasting effects. Don't do it. Live with your decision. He will more than likely find you one day.

    Answer by feesharose at 6:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • Why did you put him up for adoption since you feel the way you do??????

    Answer by hopingforanange at 8:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • Did the adoption happen in Florida? I mean did you sign consents in Florida and adoptive parents finalized in Florida?
    If so, I don't think you will be able to reverse the adoption. Florida has a termination of parental rights hearing 30 days after consents are taken. In our sitaution (through an attorney), the consents were taken with a court reporter present. Our daughter's birthmother had to appear at the 30 day termination of parental rights hearing if she wanted to reverse her consent. Even at that hearing, she had to prove durees, coercion, etc.
    I don't know any attorney to send you to, but this origanization, OriginUSA helped a family in Ohio

    Answer by luckyshamrock at 9:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • In Ohio and, especially after finalization (6 months after placement), there is absolutely nothing the BMom could do to get the child back.

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • I'm afraid you're screwed. Florida is one of the worst states for progressive adoptee friendly adoption laws. I believe that in FL once you have signed the papers the adoption is final and there's nothing you can do about it. Is there some reason you think that the adoption is illegal? Otherwise all I can do is offer sympathy and point you toward support groups and therapists.


    Answer by onethentwins at 3:19 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

  • i gave up a baby in the north part of florida and i believe that once i signed my rights and didnt appear in court that anything beyond begging the adoptive parents to give the baby back is use less. not to rehash what the rest have said but you should look at what brought you to the decision of giving up a child before u search for a way to get them back. one thing that helped me when i did it was i knew the child would be better off. and i was right i mean how many 2yo can tell you there food is going down there esophagus?? not many i am sure but he did say that at 2 thanks to the time his adoptive mother has to spend on things like teaching him.

    Answer by kikyu at 12:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

  • If you need a free lawyer , are you really able to care for the child? The child has bonded. I would encourage you to stay with your decision and realize he is better off where he has already made bonds. A child's mind is not something to play around with at our every whim. The most unselfish thing you can do is honor our decision. Those first few years are so paramount in the ability of a child to bond and develop real emotional stability. Please, don't mess with that........

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.