At what week can a baby survive if born?

I know 26 weeks b/c thats when my 2lb Husband was born!!!! Just curious for your experiences

Asked by AshJoe05 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Here is a chart that my OB gave me because I will most likely be delivering a preemie due to pregnancy complications. I hope this helps, because I didn't realize that preemies had such a good chance now a days.

Completed Weeks of Gestation at Birth
    (Using last menstrual period) Survival
    21 weeks and less 0%
    22 weeks 0-10%*
    23 weeks 10-40%
    24 weeks 40-70%
    25 weeks 50-80%
    26 weeks 80-90%
    27 weeks >90%
    30 weeks >95%
    34 weeks >98%

Answer by JD08 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I think its different for every pregnancy. My dhs had a son before we were together and he was born at 27 and a half weeks and didnt make it. I have read other stories of babies surviving earlier though. I think its the luck of the draw is all. I do believe the earliest was 21 weeks and 5 days. You can google it.

Answer by gemgem at 5:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• i work at Gaston Memorial Hospital in NC and 3 weeks ago a 9 oz baby was born at 13 weeks... The baby is on an IV , feeding tube , and breathing tube.... The baby has gained 13 oz since birth and is moving and responding to peoples touch.... They are giving the baby a 70% chance to live....but they expect the baby will be there for at least 2 month but think she will be just fine... they said she has a health heart and lungs...

• I think it was in Sweden but I am thinking 21 weeks 5 days is about right. My friend had a baby at 24 weeks and she is healthy and strong now, but I have a cousin that delivered at about 26 weeks and the baby didn't make it.

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• 13 weeks? I doubt that. Did you mistype?

• My sister was born at 26 weeks and survived, her twin did not.

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Wow anon 13 weeks? Thats second trimester and I didnt think the lungs would be developed then? You should call the Guiness people I think that would be a record!

Answer by gemgem at 5:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Sorry, but a 13 week old fetus/baby can't survive they have no lung development

• No i didnt miss type but i didnt mean to post as anno... sorry, it was entered into the records but we were told that the smallest baby to be born was in Africa and it only weighed 6oz but the baby is still in the hospital and in critical care....

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 5:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My nephew was born at 24 weeks I think. Was on oxygen until he was almost 18 months and a ton of other health issues.

Answer by reflect1light at 5:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2008