Ex-smokers, i would love to hear from you!

saturday will be 2 weeks since i've quit smoking, which is a huge accomplishment for me. i've been a pack a day smoker for 9 years. but it's no easier today than it was last week. when does it start getting easier!? im still walking around fatigued, absent-minded, almost depressed in a way. i feel good physically for the most part, but mentally i'm struggling with the addiction still, which is in turn giving me some physical drawbacks, if that makes sense.. lol. when will i be able to lift my head up and be proud of myself? i guess i "miss" smoking in some weird way and feeling a little blue. my daily stress level is pretty high so that could be contributing to my feelings. when did it get better for you? do i still have a long way to go?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:04 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Health

• yeah i would suggest seeing your doctor. there is s a pill that they have out for the psychological aspect of quitting smoking so the caraving and missing part will gradually go away. Kudos on quitting tho i am in the process of trying as well.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 8:08 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Are you taking anything to help you stop. I was on the patch for 2 weeks and that's all I needed. After 2 weeks I had no more cravings it was at that point just a mental thing, but what helped me through it was that I wanted to get pregnant so that was why I quit. It does get easier. I haven't smoked a cigarette in over 4 years and I never have a craving anymore. Good Luck!!!
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 8:10 AM on May. 4, 2011

• You are doing a good job. Go to the doctor about your anxiety. I started feeling better after a months of no smoking. But it took me up to 6 months to not want a cigarette. When I smelled the smoke.

Answer by louise2 at 8:12 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Try Chantix. My aunt stopped using that and had smoked for more then 30 yrs! She said it really does work and it blocks the receptors in your brain and helps you not have the cravings. She said after 2 weeks smoke made her sick to her stomach. They have a trial offer at their web site so to start it would be free. Since you have already quit a free 30 day supply might be all you need.

Answer by gemgem at 8:20 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I still think about it once in a while, and it's been almost 3 yrs since I quit... It has gotten much easier though. I tell myself that my Mom would be proud. My Mom had renal cancer, that traveled through into her bladder, causing her to lose both her bladder and a kidney. It then went into her colon, and she ended up losing that as well. It was horrible to watch her suffer. All because of smoking for 40+ years. She's the only person in our family that had that type of cancer, and her Dr's said that smoking was the main cause. Of course you're going to hear that, but I have to admit, if it wasn't the main cause, it surely couldn't have helped the situation..... That's how I get through. I don't want to die when my children are young, or be sick, and leave that burden on them. If you don't have your health, then what do you have?
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:07 AM on May. 4, 2011

• You just have to keep putting your foot down. THe longer you do the easier it will get. I quit cold turkey. Smoking was making me sick, and I would barf everytime. It was sort of freakish after smoking for 12 years. I had tried everything and then this happened. Now if I could only use the same strategy for weight loss! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:31 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Habits are hard to break just in general. You should begin feeling a bit better after 31 days. Are you doing this 'cold turkey'? Maybe it would help you to take some anxiety medication as you work through the process of becoming a non-smoker. Congratulations on this huge step to better health. It's a tough one for sure, but well worth it in the end. Good Luck

meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:18 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I'm allergic to tobacco and never smoked. I was having allergy shots for it. 2 weeks after my shots, I would crave a cigarette. It would make my asthma worse, but I had to have it. It's a very powerful addiction. Try changing your routine so you avoid the things that would cause you to reach for a cigarette. Like if you smoked when you had your coffee, switch to tea.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:23 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I used the patches....they were GREAT!! Helps with the cravings and you step down in dosage so it's not just cold turkey. I even got a perscription from my Dr. and my ins. covers the pathes 100%. I used Chantix before....HATED it!!! I thought I was going crazy, it was so aweful =( Good luck!!
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 8:31 AM on May. 4, 2011

• congrats! you need to lift your head up right now and tell yourself you beat it! you have! keep that mentality and you will have it beat, don't let it beat you.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:32 AM on May. 4, 2011