Should i be so nervous about his field trip?

This is my sons first field trip. He is in grade K, and I don't know why it makes me sooo nervous! He will be at the zoo, which here is large nd confuisng and we havent been since he was almost 3. There are 5 kids to each parent assigned to help.. I am not able to go, and I just hope those parents are as crazy as I am in making sure the kids dont run off or go into the bathrooms alone... Also his first trip on a bus.
Yikes I hope everything goes well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on May. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would feel the same, I am sure they will be okay with him. It's the Zoo, and the kids will be so excited so the parents will be on high alert and have the buddy system going.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:03 AM on May. 4, 2011

• In all the field trips I have ever chaperoned, no one has ever lost track of a child. We are all really paranoid about losing someone else's child too. There is a whole lot of head counting going on throughout the day. My youngest is in kindergarten now and while the teacher would assign us so many kids to keep track of, we still stayed together as a class. So the chaperones were still watching out fo the kids they were responsible for, but the teacher was watching out over the whole group. Believe me, no one is going to let the kids go into the bathrooms alone either, I promise. But I don't blame you for being nervous. I have never sent my kids on a field trip without me and probably never will, lol.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:05 AM on May. 4, 2011

• my DD is in 3rd grade & i still get nervous when she goes on field trips. Why don't you chaperon? I chaperon any field trip i am allowed to.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:06 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I would be nervious too (c: I have been that parent in charge of the little group many times in the past and I watched other people's kids like a hawk. I think your little guy will be just fine - and have lots of fun. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:06 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I am unable to chaperone or I would. I have 2 other little ones and they dont want the distraction, which i totally understand.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:08 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I can understand being nervous but I think that the chaperons will be as diligent as you would be. Hang in there.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:08 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes that is nerve wracking. I went with my son on his first ft. I was assigned to watch kids. I also made sure to keep my eye on any kids in the area I was in. It went good and the kids had fun too. I also talk to my kids about listening to their teacher or supervising adults. It will be ok.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 9:09 AM on May. 4, 2011

• My baby is in preschool right now so we still go with them on feild trips with them but K will be so hard =( I will be nervous from the second I find out they are having a trip to the second he gets back from it lol
    Try not to think about it. lol keep yourself busy
    LovinMyJay4

Answer by LovinMyJay4 at 9:11 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Field trips make me nervous. I think its just the times we live in, many of us are helicopter parents or some version of that and we worry when we aren't in control of their environment. Scary for me.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:14 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Be happy he gets field trips! Our district no longer does them or they are VERY VERY limited due to the cost of a bus. My DS is in 1st grade and the only trips he has ever been on was to ride over to the High school for a play. I wish he could do more...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:17 AM on May. 4, 2011