Toddler Harnesses

I was at walmart a few weeks ago and found a child harness in the clearance section that was shaped like a little monkey and could also be used as a backpack. It was cute and cheap so I bought it. I have a 19 mo old ds and a 12 week old ds along with their older sister who is 7, so I thought it would come in handy for my toddler next time we go to the zoo or out in the public where I will obviously have my hands full.

So, I brought it home and showed this to my DH who looked at the monkey with disgust. He said it would make our ds look like a dog or a pet if I put it on him. I was shocked by this thought b/c I was thinking it would keep him reigned in and close to me plus it would be added protection since I am also looking after 2 other kids.

So, are child harnesses a no-no???

wendydays

Asked by wendydays at 9:13 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have the same one! I got it for my son when he was 2 and I used it all the time. We would go for walks all over the place and when he got tired of the stroller I started using it. I would still hold his hand, but he would often dart here and there, after birds or bugs or dandelions...
    He LOVED having it because he knew it meant he could walk like a big boy and not have to be strappedi nto the stroller. It was also helpful when we went to fairs or whatnot, in crowds, if I needed to dig something out of my bag, pay for something, bring three plates of food to a picnic table... there are a million times whe we need both hands! My son is now 5 and I promise he doesn't bark, pee outside, or eat out of a bowl on the floor.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:12 AM on May. 4, 2011

• It depends on who you ask. Some people think they're awful, some think they're great. I say, you gotta do what you gotta do. If it's not hurting or endangering the child, then it's your choice. But since it's your husband you're talking about, you'll have to tread a bit more carefully...you do have to live with him, after all.

Personally...I love them. My kids love them. It gives them the freedom to move around without having to be strapped in a stroller or holding my hand at all times (and minus the screaming fits when forced to do so); and it gives me peace of mind, knowing that if they do yank free of my grip, they're not going to get far. But that's just me.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:17 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I use them in airports or somewhere crowded so that I KNOW where my kids are. I would much rather have them on a harness than lost and both of us crying because we can't find each other or worse.

Seaworld, six flags, the fair and the airport.. darn right if my kiddos aren't in a stroller they have a harness on. I'm not a bad mom for it, I am a protective mom who want to make sure NOTHING happens to my kids. hand on the stroller or harness!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:19 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Most people on here tend to like them. I don't. I know I'm going to get downvoted and that's fine. I had a 3 yo with special needs, an 18 month old and a newborn and still didn't use one. I think it's much more important to teach kids self discipline and control - the earlier you teach that, the better off they are. My now 2 yo knows that he can walk next to me or he will be put in the double stroller with his 9 month old sister. He would much rather walk so he stays right next to me. He holds my hand in parking lots and if it's busy in the store I have him hold on to the stroller rails so he doesn't get separated. I don't agree with harnesses for children.

Answer by missanc at 9:16 AM on May. 4, 2011

• *meh* I don't think anything bad about other's when I see them on kids; often the kid looks pretty darn cute and happy.

We considered getting one for my youngest as she was a runner (still is) but instead I just kept her in the stroller or *I* held her hand; I didn't expect her to hold mine. And if she couldn't listen then back in the stroller. Often times I didn't give her the option to walk if I knew we'd be in a crowd or I'd be distracted because we were shopping etc...

Now that she's almost 4 we rarely take the stroller unless it's to an amusement park or something and I can let her walk but telling her to hold onto the stroller or she has to ride etc...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:38 AM on May. 4, 2011

• It really depends who you ask? For me in the right situation they are good. Such as the airport or amusement parks. I think they are great when your little one is starting to explore and doesn't want to hold a hand the whole time. I have 3 toddlers and it came in handy more as an extra security in case my eyes were deterred for a couple of seconds. Now I wouldn't use it every day or as a way to ignore my kids but I am all for a little extra security. I loved it for the airport, where I am usually holding a hand and pushing a double stroller. It is amazing how rude people are and will completely run over a little one so with that extra connection in a busy terminal it is nice. Also I think it depends on the child. If you have a child that is prone to ducking and running away in crowds I would also use one then.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:18 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I had one like that when I took my son to Florida. It was nice to let him run around at the airport and jerk his little butt back when he went too far. But after awhile, I'd realized the tugging on the leash had stopped & the little monkey escaped. I'm still not sure if I brought back the right little boy.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 9:30 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I am not a fan....I am not opposed to them, but from the start of going in public, I really worked on the hold my hand, or stay in stroller/wagon,, I just think kind of like your husband does, I never had a harness when I was young, and as sleepy cupcake said, they can escape from it.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:36 AM on May. 4, 2011

• i personally dont like them for the exact same reason of ur dh, i am also understanding that it would help u out to considering that u have three dd's but im also not for it for everyday, plus to some consint depending on how u use it it could b dangoures for the kid to for example when i was prego w/ my 1st dd who is now 2 me & my husband was @ mc d's we seen a woman @ the cash register ordering her food just her and her one dd well he was running around her w/ it on and he got to far away and she just yanked it back and said stop he fell backwards and had hit his head on the hard floor she pulled really hard to and he just cried there n th floor she ddnt even care . that last one is the reason why i would nt recomand it.
    clowery573

Answer by clowery573 at 10:37 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I only used one once and it was at Disney World. I am against them in day to day situations but they can be a safety measure in some situations.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:16 AM on May. 4, 2011