What should I do?

My Dh has been estranged from his family for over a year now. His mother came to our wedding a few months ago but other then that, they haven't had anything to do with each other for a year. With mother's day coming up, I encouraged him to do something for her. Send her flowers or a card or something, even just a phone call. He is 100% not interested. Should I continue to encourage him to or just drop it?

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 9:20 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• I think you've done all you can do. You've made the suggestion, so I would let it go. It really is his choice.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:25 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I guess, I just feel bad for her. As a mother myself, I couldn't imagine not hearing from my child for a year let alone Mother's Day. Plus, the problem is really with his father not her, but she goes along with whatever his dad says
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 9:26 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Send her a card and sign his name. that's what i would do. maybe stick a photo, just let her know you are thinking of her.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:28 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I would try a couple of more times to encourage him to do something- "3x's you're out rule". After that, I'd drop it, but I would send something from myself as her daughter-in-law.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 9:29 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I would drop it. I am estranged from my family-my ex suggested a card for Mother's Day for my mom. I appreciate his thinking of it but it definitely is not gonna happen.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:31 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Send her a card, but don't sign his name! You think a mother wouldn't recognize her own son's handwriting? Or lack of?
    Send it from you, and if you want, include a message about how you wish things didn't have to be this way, and you are hoping for a reconcilliation
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:37 AM on May. 4, 2011

• i agree with every one send her a card from you, maybe you should call her and start a relationship between the two of you. that may get your DH to come around.
    wyattgrace

Answer by wyattgrace at 10:17 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree. Send her a card from you, don't sign his name.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 11:30 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes I agree send her a card from you. Don't sign his name, because she might call him and thank him.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:44 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I'd say - let it be.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:05 PM on May. 4, 2011