Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do?

My Dh has been estranged from his family for over a year now. His mother came to our wedding a few months ago but other then that, they haven't had anything to do with each other for a year. With mother's day coming up, I encouraged him to do something for her. Send her flowers or a card or something, even just a phone call. He is 100% not interested. Should I continue to encourage him to or just drop it?

Answer Question

Asked by JLS2388 at 9:20 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Relationships

Level 25 (25,280 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • I think you've done all you can do. You've made the suggestion, so I would let it go. It really is his choice.

    Answer by NannyB. at 9:25 AM on May. 4, 2011

  • I guess, I just feel bad for her. As a mother myself, I couldn't imagine not hearing from my child for a year let alone Mother's Day. Plus, the problem is really with his father not her, but she goes along with whatever his dad says

    Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 9:26 AM on May. 4, 2011

  • Send her a card and sign his name. that's what i would do. maybe stick a photo, just let her know you are thinking of her.

    Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:28 AM on May. 4, 2011

  • I would try a couple of more times to encourage him to do something- "3x's you're out rule". After that, I'd drop it, but I would send something from myself as her daughter-in-law.

    Answer by rosiemendo at 9:29 AM on May. 4, 2011

  • I would drop it. I am estranged from my family-my ex suggested a card for Mother's Day for my mom. I appreciate his thinking of it but it definitely is not gonna happen.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:31 AM on May. 4, 2011

  • Send her a card, but don't sign his name! You think a mother wouldn't recognize her own son's handwriting? Or lack of?
    Send it from you, and if you want, include a message about how you wish things didn't have to be this way, and you are hoping for a reconcilliation

    Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:37 AM on May. 4, 2011

  • i agree with every one send her a card from you, maybe you should call her and start a relationship between the two of you. that may get your DH to come around.

    Answer by wyattgrace at 10:17 AM on May. 4, 2011

  • I agree. Send her a card from you, don't sign his name.

    Answer by alf2651 at 11:30 AM on May. 4, 2011

  • Yes I agree send her a card from you. Don't sign his name, because she might call him and thank him.


    Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:44 AM on May. 4, 2011

  • I'd say - let it be.

    Answer by tasches at 3:05 PM on May. 4, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.