Do I sound unreasonable?

The 3rd grade class always go on a trip to the Zoo for their fieldtrip. The downside to this is it's 120 miles one way, and they leave at 8am, and don't return to school until 7pm that evening. I told a Mom I will not let our son go that far on a school bus. I have asked if he could ride with me in our car, and they said no, all of the students need to be on the bus. I don't understand that.
I feel if I'm going to be helping out, that I should be able to have my son in the car with me. Buses are not safe, they will be driving into a big city, with a lot of traffic. Do I sound unreasonable? When I shared my concern with another Mom, she said that she couldn't see making her son miss out, and that I was just paranoid.. I took offense to that. With all of the bus accidents lately, I think my fears are warranted. Do you? Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on May. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would take him anyway! I wouldn't let my 3rd grader go all day with with a bunch of people I don't really know that far. Tell the school that you are his mother and you will do what you want with your son and if they dont like it they can go fuck themselves. And have a good time, tell your son how you feel too. Tell him you dont want anyone to take him, or for something bad to happen. And tell him that he'll have more freedom and you'll do more stuff if he goes with you =). I'm sure he wont argue. I would have ALWAYS rathered to go with my parents than with the school, the schools always ruin the fun of feild trips
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:29 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I think you are going to cause your son to miss out on a fun trip. I agree with the other mom, you need to take a deep breath. He's not 3, he's in THIRD GRADE. Don't make him be THAT child that gets left behind because mom can't cut the cord.
    mjande4

Answer by mjande4 at 9:25 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I applaud your sense of safety, but unfortunately, we cannot bubble wrap our kids. If you are going, then follow the bus, let him have fun and the experience with his friends. I would worry more if I were not tagging along. Our school went to an Island in Lake Erie which was an hour car ride then a 30 minute boat ride..she was in the 4th grade, I was a nervous wreck. I sent my then 19 yr old son with her and all went well. I think you are a good mom, but need to relax a bit. Accidents can happen anytime and anywhere. You need to concentrate on the things you CAN control, not those you can't. I hope he has a wonderful day.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:28 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree with you. No you don't sound unreasonable to me.

Answer by older at 9:25 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I think with the accidents more drivers are being more careful. If it bothers you that much you can take your son out of school for the day and take him yourself and just you two go so that he still gets to visit the zoo on the same day and you can drive him..
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:26 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I think you are being a bit paranoid. The school can not let kids ride with their parents places due to liability and once they have made it to school for the day they can not relinquish responsibility to you to drive him to a school function. Bus accidents in the grand scheme of things are not very likely and are hardly ever serious. You are more likely to get in a serious accident with your little one in the car with you. I wouldn't make my little ones miss a field trip either for that reason. Go with him, see if you are allowed to ride the bus with him.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:27 AM on May. 4, 2011

• i think i would worry too..but i would have to force myself to let go. I know this is the schools rule, and i'm pretty sure they don't allow parents on the bus either. Its teaching your child to be independent. just follow the bus if that helps you to feel more comfortable
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:28 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I think you're being overcautious. Busses are not built the same way that cars are. They're far safer, actually. And cars have a MUCH higher accident and fatality rate than school busses. I can understand the school policy on not taking separate cars because what they allow for one student, they must allow for all. They could potentially have many students arriving at different times (due to traffic, etc) and trying to make sure that everyone is together and accounted for would be a nightmare. Either let your child go like every other student or keep him home for the day. I hope you decide to let him go.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 9:36 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Follow your instinct. If you allowed your son to go and you were not comfortable then you would worry yourself to death. I don't see the harm in just taking your son on the same day of the fieldtrip and meeting up with them at the zoo. I mean, the worst the school could do is count him absent for the day. That way he doesn't miss out and you follow your instincts.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 9:27 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I always help out at school, with field trips, etc.. They said NO parents can ride the bus because it will be full, so all parents that are helping out,( I signed up to help) will have to drive. That's my issue. Then why can't he ride with me?? I think my best bet would be to go to the superintendent. Tell them why I feel the way I do. There's been 3 accidents in the last 3 months at our school, and yes children did get hurt. I DO NOT trust the incompetent drivers they hire... We pay our taxes, I help out with school, from field trips, to parties for the kids, etc etc.. I think I should be able to take MY son in my car. As far as making him miss out, he's been to the Zoo so many times he frowned when he found out that's where they're going... Thanks for your thoughts ladies...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:38 AM on May. 4, 2011