Narcissist

Has anyone had to deal with a Narcissistic parent? If so, how did you survive, and overcome?

mockitaz

Asked by mockitaz at 9:38 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• Oh yes!!!!! My mother. I love her so much and since I was a child I can remember thinking, "why can't my mom love me as much as I love her?" I went to therapy for years just to learn my mom loves me as much as she is capable. It just happems to be she loves herself more. I'm not saying it is right, but I have learned to accept that is who she is and I'm not about to spend another second being hurt by her lack of love and selfishness.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 9:45 AM on May. 4, 2011

• my mil.. i just go crazy... :-/
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:48 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Do you mean selfish? Narcissim isn't actually very common. I'm not saying you don't know or anything. But narcissim is a disorder, and I was just curious if you were referring to someone that has actually been diagnosed as it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:55 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes! Here is a book that I am reading right now that is really helping.

http://www.amazon.com/Will-Ever-Good-Enough-Narcissistic/dp/1439129436/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1304522679&sr=8-1
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Not a parent but SO is one and he drives me nuts. It can't be easy for a child to deal with them growing up. I agree there are some great books that help. I had to read several just to have this joke of a relationship. I have to keep taking breaks from him just to keep my sanity. The one thing that has to be remembered at all times is Don't take things Personally. I know it's hard since it 's a parent but you have to keep remembering that. Look in to some great online articles about Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:57 PM on May. 4, 2011

• No, thank goodness.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:04 PM on May. 4, 2011