How? I'm going Crazy!!!!

My whole adult life I have struggled paying my bills because of the grace of God I have always managed to pay them every month, have never had them disconnected or been late........but the stress of figuring out how to pay them and not going crazy is killing me and the more money we make the more we spend, how do you keep from over spending?????

buttonlts

Asked by buttonlts at 9:40 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• You just have to set a budget and stick to it. I would include something for entertainment so that you DO have some money you can spend on things you want to do that isn't for bills, but stick within that limit.

Worrying about money will not make you have more of it...I have always taken a little comfort in knowing that if I have a budget, stick to it, and earn what I expect to each month, the bills are paid. It isn't a miracle, it is following your own plan.

To reduce your bills and get a little "breathing room" I would recommend calling around on all your bills to see what you can do to get your bills lowered. Cable, phone, and insurances are great places to start with that, but credit cards and loans can also be negotiated to a lower rate or payment. I do this about every 6 months even though we can afford our bills, because why spend more than you have to?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:52 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I am the worst with money, if I have a dollar, I will spend it. Forget saving! To help me get a grip, I did two things. First, I divided money into separate envelopes, like groceries, gas, bills, etc. Then spend accordingly. I learned to budget better, since I only had a certain amount for each thing and it had to last. Then, I kept a log of every penny I spent everywhere I went. It made me so much more aware of where I was spending. I learned to save so much, because I saw where I was wasting my money. I know that may sound extreme, but I had credit card debt in the thousands, I had no concept at all. Good luck!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 9:51 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Do you have a household budget?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:45 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I take the new raise and toss THAT into savings. this way we have a nest egg in case of an oops or something going wrong with the car or house.

Sit down, write out all of your bills, plan out meals so you go to the store and buy JUST what you need. tell yourself NO and try to have fun nights once or twice a week with the money you save but still save some extras so you can do a fun vacation or something every year.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:46 AM on May. 4, 2011

• pay bills first - then 'spend the rest of the money... lol we use cash so we NEVER overspend... i always know how much money we have!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:47 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Join the dave Ramsey group on here. The ladies are great at saving money and showing you how to live within your budget. You have to list all your bills and all your debts. List all your income and see how the numbers compare. Cut out anything you can (may be able to reduce cable or cell phone bill etc). Be sure to include things like groceries and gas and blow money in your budget. 1st step is do whatever you have to to get $1000 emergency fund saved. This is so when you get a flat tire or other emergency you dont have to use credit cards. Once you have budget set then you get out cash for groceries, blow money, clothing money etc. Then when the grocery money envelope is gone you eat what you already have in cabinets. You decide monthly where you money goes...not try to figure out where it went at the end of the month!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:54 AM on May. 4, 2011

• i know exactly how you feel im the same way maybe set aside 5 dollars every check into a separate account and then you can have some Leighway money, or maybe play a mind game with yourself and if your check is going to be 700 tell yourself your only getting 6 that way you dont touch it Hope that helps mommy

kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 9:45 AM on May. 4, 2011

• It's very hard, but a budget is a good thing to have, I tried and fell off also
    ttk2

Answer by ttk2 at 9:46 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Hmmmmmm a budget what is that???? would not even know where to start
    buttonlts

Comment by buttonlts (original poster) at 9:47 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Budgeting doesn't have to be hard...maybe getting started. Write down the money you expect to make in the month, and what your bills are expected to be (include gas and groceries). Subtract your total bills from your total income and what you have left can go toward savings or spending money.

Evaluating what you truly need and limiting your "wants" is probably the hardest part. We usually each take $25 to spend over the week, which is enough for a couple lunches, coffees, whatever...but I know that if it interfered with our ability to save a certain amount each month, it would be the first thing to get "cut"
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:57 AM on May. 4, 2011