What would you say if soneone keeps asking you do you have something that belongs to us?

I left a scarf over my husband's aunt's house. His aunt made her husband call me and ask me if I had a jacket that belonged to her.I said no but I had a scarf that I left there from Palm Sunday. Yesterday, I attended a funeral mass and sat next to the uncle and again he asked me do you have something that belongs to us? I said no. So his aunt goes to my mil I have a scarf does it belong to someone? I mean wth? What should I tell my mil. This is the second time they keep bothering me about this. They are the ones that have something that belongs to me not the other way around. What should I tell my mil?? I am so pissed beyond belief.

geminilove7

Asked by geminilove7 at 9:49 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• maybe they aren't remembering properly. who knows.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:54 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Just call your aunt and say that you are sorry she lost her jacket but you have checked and you are sure you do not have it. However I did leave my scarf there Palm Sunday and I know you were asking who it belonged to so I wanted to let you know its mine and I will get it back when I see you next time.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 9:52 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Tell her the truth, you left something there but don't have anything at your house that belongs to them.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:50 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I don't really see it as something to be pissed about. Just remind them that they have the scarf and that you do not have anything. I don't see either as really that big of a deal.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:52 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I was wondering how old the people were who were asking these questions. Now that you mention that your MIL's sister has early stages of dementia, I hate to tell you that this may be the beginning of many, many more conversations like this. Just take a deep breath, go by the house and talk with the husband so you can get your scarf back (he's having to deal with his wife's decline every day and may not be able to do anything about it for you), and remember that we'll all get old one day too.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:09 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Just explain it to your mother in law. She might talk to her sister. I would just get a new scarf.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:39 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Tell them again that you do not have anything that belongs to them, you've checked everywhere and you did not find her missing jacket but you will let them know if if happens to turn up. And by the way i will be over to get my scarf, the one I left at your house the other day. Then do it and forget about the jacket.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:54 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I think I should tell my mil since I have a great relationship with. I really do not like talking to her sister. SHe has early stages of dementia and hard of hearing so she makes her husband do all her talking. I just want it to stop with the do you have somethig that belongs to us nonsense...
    geminilove7

Comment by geminilove7 (original poster) at 10:20 AM on May. 4, 2011

• If she has dementia, maybe she forgot that she knows who's scarf it is? However, it's just a scarf. Is it worth getting upset about?
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:54 PM on May. 4, 2011