Any inexpensive vacation ideas for a large family?

Our kids are 10, 9, 8, 4, and 4 mos old twins. Every summer we go to the beach/boardwalk multiple times and try a different water/amusement park every year. For what we end up spending on all that we could probably actually go somewhere. I feel bad because my ex takes the 8 and 4 year olds with his wife's family(who are loaded!) to disney for a week EVERY summer and its easy for him because his inlaws pay for everything. It's not a competition im happy that they get to go i just want to be able to take the whole family somewhere that actually feels like a vacation. any ideas are appreciated thanks!

Genice6

Asked by Genice6 at 9:55 AM on May. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• We go camping a lot! It's so fun. We go fishing, swimming, grilling then hang out by the fire and talk all night. Great fun.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:56 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I would plan a camping trip. Much cheaper per night and that affords you more money to do other things. There are also so many options that you can do outdoors that is free. We do a lot of hiking and playing a long the rivers. It is my favorite time with my kids.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:57 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I also say camping! I come from a family of 8. It was always the best time for us!.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:00 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Some of the best memories I have of my family growing up are camping trips. There is something so special about the simplicity of camping near a river and an open fire. So relaxing and fun for the whole family!
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 10:00 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I like the cabins in Gatlinburg. Lots of national parks have cabins for rent as well. You could go hiking and possiblely canoeing while you are there.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:01 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I am all for camping, lake and family bonding time! Learn to fish, bird watch, get some nice country air by a lake or river. heck, go to the beach and enjoy a weekend in a hotel and just playing all day in the sand and on the boardwalk window shopping!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:01 AM on May. 4, 2011

• The outerbanks in NC (Nags Head maybe) is really reasonable. You can rent a condo on the beach. That way you have a full kitchen and don't have to have every meal out.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:03 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree camping is great! Also, if you don't actually want to camp. You can rent cabins really cheap and still enjoy the outdoors. TN has some great cabins and they are close to the city.

We go to SC every uear and we go in May just before the on season. Condos are cheaper and the beach isn't crowded. We got a 3 bedroom condo this year for 900 and we have another couple coming with us and they are splitting everything. If you don't need as big of a place then you can down grade. Oh and if you get one on 2nd row or farther back ( we are on the beach front) that will save you money too. I looked at a place that was 400 bucks, 2nd row and was a house instead of a condo. But DH has to be ON the beach.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:05 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I've always thought it would just be great to do something close to home - I'm in a similar boat to you. My ex can afford to do a lot more things with my son than I can, but I'm just happy to get to spend time with him... it would just be nice to do something special once in awhile!
    I suggest going to a nearby city and doing things you might not normally do or you haven't done in awhile - visit zoos or other tourist attractions - and maybe stay overnight in a hotel before going home. I think that's always fun for kids... really, who doesn't like staying in a hotel? Obviously with kids it doesn't have to be a fancy hotel - I always loved just staying in little motels overnight during road trips as a kid.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:08 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Silver Dollar City, DollyWood, Great Smoky Mountains.... Ozarks.... thos are our favs and we also have 5
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:12 AM on May. 4, 2011