Should you allow make up parenting time?

If the non custodial parent claims they misunderstood the order and didn't show up for parenting time should you allow make up time the order has been the same for 9 months

rinamomof2

Asked by rinamomof2 at 9:55 AM on May. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• OP, I think you should have mentioned the details it's really a completely different question when you give the whole story. This is an issue of an inconsistent parent, not just one who made a singular mistake.

I'm a custodial SM & I know all about dealing with an inconsistent & difficult BM. My answer would have been completely different.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:36 AM on May. 5, 2011

• For the child's benefit, yes.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:57 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes. Why not? It would be great for the kids and great for your relationship with your ex as well as a family. Sure, it wouldnt hurt. Let the kids go for the make up time and use that time to go to the movies or out to dinner... something constructive for yourself. It would be great for everyone. You might want to document it, just so that you can have proof later on IF things turn ugly that your trying to do what best for the children and the ex. Your the flexible, non-manipulative one in the extended relationship. ok? The kids will love you for it as well.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 10:17 AM on May. 4, 2011

• How much time are we talking about? And did they understand the order in the beginning?
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 9:57 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I would say NO. JMO
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:57 AM on May. 4, 2011

• No, if they can't read then it's a lesson learned. Just continue on with the plan. I have learned not to give an inch because he usually takes a mile... I have also found that if I stick to my guns, then he knows what to expect, and doesn't try to change things up, or forget as easily...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:57 AM on May. 4, 2011

• JMO, but why do you need a court order, why not have the open door policy that other parent can see child when ever they want as long as they let you know an hour ahead of time and never tell child they are coming and not show up. why punish the child because parents cant get along. if other parent is abusing child or is mean to child then cut all ties.
    wyattgrace

Answer by wyattgrace at 10:12 AM on May. 4, 2011

• *Eh* I would let her, for several reasons. 1. For the kids, it is all about them. 2. It shows you are working with her and it will probably do the relationship some good. 3. It teaches the kids a good example. 4. It will feel good in the long run to know you were the bigger person and the more responsible.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 10:25 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Sounds like you guys are making life more difficult than it needs to be. Let her see her kid.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 10:28 AM on May. 4, 2011

• of course!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:35 AM on May. 4, 2011