Would you be letting go of friendship?

Last year we went to my inlaws' condo down south where my son's friend that moved down there about an hour and half away. His parents wanted to hang with us constantly. So on the last day , we got a flat and our plans did not work out. SO we still hung out but we thought we would not hear from them anymore . On the last day they wanted to hang out with us and I told no right away due to packing and wasting so much money on car repairs since we drove down.They decided to drive up to our area since their father was having heart surgery. We invited them to come over and they said yes but never showed up. In the meantime they got involved with their farming community and made a lot of friends.The mom is still cordial sending me cards but no calls but I can tell that she has moved on since I sent hera pic from last summer on fb. My son still wants to hang with them this summer but I don't know. Should I just let it go?

geminilove7

Asked by geminilove7 at 10:11 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• I wouldn't necessarily let it go, but I'd accept it as a...seasonal friendship, I guess? Like, I have some friends that I only talk to on FB...I know that that's as far as our friendships will go. We used to hang out in real life, now we don't, and that's ok. I have other friends for that. I would keep in semi regular contact throughout the year, without expecting much, and then hang out with her when you are down there on vacation. If she doesn't want to hang out on vacation, then I guess you'll know she doesn't want to be friends and you can let go then.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:08 PM on May. 4, 2011

• If you are going to be down there again for a while, why not invite your son's friend at a time convenient to you. Depending on the answer, you may get a feel for where the mom stands regarding your "friendship." If nothing else, maybe the kid can come spend a couple of nights with you. Otherwise, it doesn't sound like there was much of a relationship between you and her. Hopefully your children can still be friends even if the parents don't hang out at your place.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:54 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated...
    geminilove7

Comment by geminilove7 (original poster) at 10:21 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes, you go that right. The friendship was between the boys. But when we would get them together she would invite us to sleep over their house and my husband said no. We always spent vacations together, but now as they make new friends in their new neighborhood they just kind of moved on in a matter of a year... I honestly was not friends with her but we were buddy buddy during the summer.
    geminilove7

Comment by geminilove7 (original poster) at 11:04 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Anyone else?
    geminilove7

Comment by geminilove7 (original poster) at 11:05 AM on May. 4, 2011

• you should let her know how you feel. that you miss being buddies in the summer time.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:32 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes, I will let her know.Having friends while vacationing is very important, esp. if they live in that area. We fb messages and also she sent me a sympathy card when my dad passed away.So she is very nice with me.
    geminilove7

Comment by geminilove7 (original poster) at 11:36 AM on May. 4, 2011