Need To Know or Mind Your Own Business? - Military Tactics adult content

It feels like (on the whole) we've gotten to busy-body-nosey about what the military does and does't do. Sometimes maybe we don't need to know everything (even though we're curious). Issues like 'how we extract information from terrorist" or "rather or not a POW is given well balanced meals" or "allowed to exercise". (Note: these are only examples , not actual representations)

Yes, there are things that an American Soldier should never do (or be ordered to do) - like booby-trapping the very young and old with explosive devices, or raping women (sexual assault has no place in a soldiers bag-o-tricks), or steal teenagers from the streets and force them to join-up. (I list these as exceptions because I think we can globally agree on tactics as extreme as these - *I think)

It seems to me that there are times that the more the public knows the less affective our military can be.

Do you agree or disagree that "maybe we don't need to know everything all the time"?
Why or why not?

(Adult content clicked so you can express yourself if you want to)

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 10:23 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I totally agree with you. My husband is military, and the more people know, the more our enemies know and can use that to their advantage. And that puts my husband, and several THOUSAND (if not in the millions) people, at risk.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:29 AM on May. 4, 2011

• It seems to me that there are times that the more the public knows the less affective our military can be.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:30 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree that the public does not need to know what happens with military operations. As hopeandglory said, it puts my husband, and a lot of other people at a high risk. I dont ask about what he does on missions, because I am not privy to that information, as his WIFE. Why should the general public be privy to it?
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 10:33 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I don't think the public needs to have total access. JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:35 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Agree with the above answers.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:36 AM on May. 4, 2011

• some things need to be kept secret for our own protection.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:38 AM on May. 4, 2011

• actually - the bin laden operation is a perfect example. we knew absolutely nothing about it until it had already been carried out, and even now we are only getting information in pieces as it is being released. i think in this case especially it is best to be on a "need to know" basis.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:39 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I want to know that our military is operating morally. Because it is representing my country and me, and it's my responsibility to monitor that as best I can.

However, I agree that we are giving away so much information about interrogation techniques, weaponry ("mail call" type shows), tactics, weaknesses, etc... there is a ton of info out there, so easy to get. Wasn't hard for someone of a relatively low level to get info that showed up on Wikileaks. I get freedom of the press, etc... but with intelligence and military organisations, I'm sure they are less effective when every bit of info about them is available to anyone.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:40 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I'm not directly involved and never will be, so I do not need to know the fine details.

I do hope the military is operating according to rules and regs-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:43 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree and it's the same with our government.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:13 AM on May. 4, 2011