How can I get my children to get along?

I have three girls ages 9,7,and 5. They are always arguing and fighting with each other. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get them to stop?

Mommi2four2011

Asked by Mommi2four2011 at 10:26 AM on May. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Hi, I'm one of your cafe-mom experts ( who happen to have 3 kids, 4 grand-kids, and lots of experiences. I 'm guessing that the arguing gets louder and more intense and sooner or later--you get the complaint. I hope everyone is pretty well adjusted, no one has been sent to the hospital and all "unfairness" and "bo-bo's" have been mild. If that is the case, take yourself out of the conflict by sending them outside to finish the argument. This simple strategy is very effective when its cold, hot, or no one gets an audience. Do not try to fix every fight--its just won't work. Make sure that you kids have plenty of other activities to keep busy. Good Luck and Take care, Laura L. Smith, author of Child Psychology and Development for Dummies
    Laura_Smith

Answer by Laura_Smith at 10:42 AM on May. 4, 2011

• It won't stop, it is just the way siblings interact, you need to play referee and tell them that they are family and family should be more linient with each other, it will pass.

Answer by older at 10:42 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I feel for you. I have 3 boys ages 8, 5 1/2 and 2 1/2 and I have the same problem. All they do is fight and pick on each other. It is so frusterating when all you want to do is have them get along for more than 5 minutes. If you find out the solution to this problem, please share it with me. lol
    RMott

Answer by RMott at 10:47 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Well the 9 and 7 yearold mostly can get alone together some but the 5 yearold he still learning stuff and shareing with other's my son is 5 and he still at that point where he coloring and playing with Acton Toys.. Like Batman and Iron Man.. so yeah i see where you have most Trouble there my two nieces are 6 and 12 so yah i see where you are coming for .. Just keep them in line and you should be okay they just going threw that stage of he or she wanted or stay out my room thing.. Or leave me alone thing it will pass.. Good Luck
    Star129

Answer by Star129 at 10:53 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Find something they all like to do with eachother and sink with that
    Star129

Answer by Star129 at 10:54 AM on May. 4, 2011

• mine are 17 and 14 and they still fight. There are days when they literally cannot walk into the same room without starting in on each other *sigh*
    good luck- my only advice? separate them when they fight
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:59 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Look up some activities that must be done as a team and then have them do one, all in fun, praise them when they do get along.
    2and2onway

Answer by 2and2onway at 12:12 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I raised only 2 dd's, but this is what I did when those 2 could not get along.
    Find their most fun alone time thing to do for ea child.
    when the fighting/arguing starts see if they can settle it on their own, if not separate
    them into their own quiet spot with their favorite alone time item...
    Now what will happen is that they are going to find that playing alone isn't all that fun and will
    want to play with the others and you will tell them NO bc they can not get along with ea other.
    Tell them that disagreeing/arguing is normal and natural for kids, but not solving their problems between
    them isn't good and as long as you have to separate them like that, they can not play with ea other
    for awhile that day until they learn to get along better and at least start solving some of their arguing.
    It took a few times for my girls to get the hint.
    GL
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:24 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I got Cancer and watched Everyone so come together. I wish there was a easier way!! I think ours just fought to be No.#1 & my Favorite! Other times some tragedies happened when they grew up in each was there for each other. Show unconditional nonstop Love!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 12:44 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I usually have a 'carrot and stick' approach to parenting (both building up the positive and discouraging the negative) which is how I handle sibling fighting in our family. On the positive side, help them work out compromises and solutions. Those kinds of skills don't come instinctually. Plan activities that will teach them to work together as a team to foster positive bonding. We have a family game night and put the kids on teams, and there are all kinds of other team building exercises out there. I don't put up with constant bickering though. The first time, I help them work it out. The second time, I tell them to take some time apart and find their own seperate activities to do. The third time, I find them their own separate activites in the form of chores in different parts of the house and separate them for the rest of the (morning, afternoon, day, weekend, whatever seems appropriate based on how bad they've been into it
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:35 PM on May. 4, 2011