Really at a stand still with potty training

ok my son is going to be 3 on friday and he is still refusing the potty. ive landed the idea that if he is just naked with the potty in the middle of the floor somewhere he spends most of the day he will use it. only he cried for almost an hour to put his diaper back on. hes fine now and its still off but is this going to work?? making him stay naked all day long until nap or bed time? im due with my second baby in november so id rather not have two kids in diapers

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think maybe you need to go shopping for "big boy" underwear, I wouldn't make him be naked,,,he might just not be ready, but do you play the cheerios "aim" game? I never used a potty, just the toilet,,I wouldn't let him cry, your teaching negative feelings about the potty.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:44 AM on May. 4, 2011

• weve tried the underwear thing, he just pees in them. almost like he thinks theyre like diapers and can absorb. this is mind blowing to me because outside of this and he still uses his pacifier, hes so grown up and independant and hes very very smart.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:47 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Take away the diapers completely. Put him in underwear only or underwear and easy, pull up pants. Stay home for 3 days. Take him every 1/2 hour to start. The second day take him every 1 hour or so. He'll get it by day 3.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:49 AM on May. 4, 2011

• i understand completly! im due with my 3rd around first of october and my lil boy who is 3 could care less about potty! i put him in underwear and he just peese in them! im not gonna give up though because i really want him out of pull ups by baby number 3!
    cortneydmorris

Answer by cortneydmorris at 11:00 AM on May. 4, 2011

• My son turned 3 in March. The way we got him to stop peeing in his underwear was by teaching him that he could miss out on something from having to take so long to change him. We were outside the church playing with a bunch of kids in the little playground. I had just taken him potty, and at the time he would pee for me at home but wouldn't tell anyone and continued to pee in his pullup while we were out. About 20 minutes after going potty, he snuck into the little playhouse and came out soaked. I casually walked him to the car to get his bag and to the bathroom to change him. By the time we got back outside, no one was playing. I told him that if he tells Mama and goes peepee in the potty he can always go back to what he was doing; but if he peepees in his underwear, it takes a long time to clean him up, and he might miss out on something fun. That was the last time he peed in his pants on purpose. Goodluck!
    wellnessandme

Answer by wellnessandme at 11:14 AM on May. 4, 2011