Bin Laden was unarmed, but he resisted?

after hearing this yesterday i started getting curious. after they shot his wife in the leg, there was nothing standing between them (the SEALs) and bin Laden. there was no way he could have escaped, as to my knowledge, there were 30-40 seals on this mission. during the interview at the White House yesterday, Carney claimed Osama was shot and killed because he resisted, however, he was unarmed. I do realize that resisting doesn't imply being armed, but how much resistance could have been applied when stuck inside a room with navy SEALS, unarmed? . Also, to my knowledge, the original plan was just to capture him. Maybe I'm way out of line by suggesting this, and not that i disagree if this was what really happened, but do you think *hypothetically* that one of the SEALs just lost it by being face to face with this creep, and just shot him?

EDITED for clarification.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:52 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No. OBL killed thousands of innocent men, women, and children. Seals don't lose it, they are the most highly trained and skilled of any force. They had a job to do and they did it flawlessly and precisely the way it had been planned.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:54 AM on May. 4, 2011

• SEALs do not "just lose it" and disobey a direct order from their Commander in Chief.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on May. 4, 2011

• No, they were instructed to shoot to kill.

Answer by older at 10:53 AM on May. 4, 2011

• That was a grip.......you opened up that can of worms..............I find it hard to believe that anyone can have ANY questions as to how, why, when, where, or whatever when it comes to OBL.......personally I think they should have hung his head up for all of us to physically spit on it. I am a God fearing red blooded American and could CARE LESS about OBL and anything associated to him. May he burn in hell for eternity and BEYOND! I do apologize for letting my anger get to me.........
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:02 AM on May. 4, 2011

• @Steph, the press secretary of the White House stated he did, infact, resist.

Press secretary? LOL
    I guess that makes it so then.
    Yeah Maybe he took a step? A guy in a room with a woman in close proximity but yards away from a shooter resists how?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:08 AM on May. 4, 2011

• The most that BL was at a disadvantage was that no one called or knocked before the Seals entered his compound. I have no doubts that BL knew that sooner or later it would happen though, so the most he should have experienced was mild surprise after being on so many 'most wanted' lists for years.

The people in those planes, in the towers, at the Pentagon ... THEY were at an extreme disadvantage. Planes aren't supposed to be hijacked and flown into buildings. Buildings aren't supposed to be inhabited by passenger jets.

See the difference.

Whether or not BL was armed/unarmed, given the length of the gunfire that was exchanged, there were many others there who WERE armed ...
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:52 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Resisting doesn't mean he was armed...Just like people resist arrest, Bin Laden could have resisted the capture. And he could have threatened them without a weapon, maybe he ran at one of the SEALs or something...If they feel threatened, they can shoot. And ANYONE, I'm sure, would have shot to kill if face to face with OBL.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 12:29 PM on May. 4, 2011

• going crazy"Osama was at an extreme disadvantage nonetheless" I cannot even find the words to respond to this..........maybe we should ask all the families of the DEAD from 911.......................

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:56 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Nah but even IF..I can easily look the other way.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:59 AM on May. 4, 2011

• LOL He didn't resist and he didn't have a weapon. The wife he happened to be with at the time made a "threatening" move and that was the end of Osama. I saw the computer generated program showing how the administration was "backing away" from the human shield and weapon remarks.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:00 AM on May. 4, 2011