how often?

How many meals of solid food should my 6 and a half month old be getting a day?

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my little girl is a little over six months old. at her well check appointment yesterday, the doc and i talked about this very topic. she told me that my daughter should be eating solids twice a day now and that over the next few weeks, we should increase it to three meals a day.

for instance, firsts baby food fruit in the morning, then firsts baby food veggies around lunch and cereal (rice, oat or barley) at night.

of course, breastmilk and /or formula will remain their main food source until they are a year old. right now, they are just getting used to the different tastes and textures of food while learning to at eat.

at her next well check (nine months), we will be discussing the introduction of table food into her diet.

i hope this helps!
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• my doc says that in the pioneer days you would breast feed until they were 15 months old and that if you arent BF that formula is the next best thing. He says juice and crackers and cookies and stuff are optional as well as real human food, but its not needed and really doesnt help... he says that baby food is so processed that it is almost not recognizable as food and does not have an nutritional value... it's only used to help kiddos learn to eat. He says sure its easier but not necessarily good for the babies. He also says that there is more vitamins and DHA and ARA and Lipids in the formula and the more he gets in him the better his brain and everything will develop.. now is a crucial time for development.... I give my 7 month old crushed up real bananas every now and then or a cracker or a shortbread cookie every two weeks or so.. I even let him drink a little eggnog the other day out of a glass.... it was really cute...
    dlwsbjmknox

Answer by dlwsbjmknox at 6:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• i gave my 6 month old alittle baby cereal in the morning. Then at dinner time I would give her a little jar of babyfood. She seemed to be satisfied with that.
    emilyhopesmom

Answer by emilyhopesmom at 6:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• However much she seems to want.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You can do as many as you want 1-3 probably. But be sure it's after giving brestmilk or formula... it shouldn't replace what they drink at this point.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:14 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• At 6-7 months old my daughter got cereal and fruit for breakfast, a fruit and veggie at lunch, and cereal and a veggie at dinner. This was along with all her normal bottles throughout the day.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 1:16 PM on Dec. 5, 2008