Why is the suggestion always "have you mentioned it to the doc"?

Why is our society so quick to "suggest it to the doc" when someone questions a behavior their child has? Whatever happened to good ole....it is normal my child did/does it too?

The past couple days I have read some very normal behavior for kids, and everyone is quick to jump to a disorder.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I agree with Nicole. It seems like, in todays time, we are more likely to just take our kids to the doctor rather than work on the issue ourselves. While I agree that some children may need medication, I've know tons of kids who just need to run around the yard for a while to relieve their hyper behavior. With our son, we try everything first before we go to the doctor. With my sister, she always calls the doctor first.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:22 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I always answer if my kids do it or not too.. but honestly, some people should go see the doctor because we can't diagnose things over the internet and it might be something that needs real attention
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:16 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I almost NEVER say anything about the doctor. I give real advice and info. I usually got voted down because I don't say anything about a doctor. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:23 AM on May. 4, 2011

• It's probably because of all the publicity out there. I hardly ever suggest that because that's not how it was done when my kids were growing up. That was 27 and 22 years ago and I can tell you never did I once hear a friend or relative ask if we thought there was something wrong with their kid... other than being a normal kid. LOL! Kids are kids, they grow at their own pace and socialize at their own pace. Granddaughter is 3 1/2 now and just started talking at 3. You still can't understand a word she says, but she sure can communicate. She is in speech and that's all she needs! When the older one started Kindergarten the teacher immediately started talking to DD about ADHD. By first grade all is wonderful. All she needed was a different damn teacher! One that knew how to handle "normal children". One's that are not controlled by medications, nor robotic. LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:17 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree, I am against meds fr kids, there are signs for when they need them ( though I am not likely to believe thayt either) I let my kids be kids, and simply want to know if anyne has experienced it! Dang modern medical society....lol
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:29 AM on May. 4, 2011

• because we are a disorder happy society. I mean, if you can diagnosis it, them its not that the child just needs to be worked with to correct the behavior. its no longer the parents "fault". And gee, even perhaps they is a little pill that they can give to make it all better.

It seems like if things are not going the way we expect, then their has to be something wrong.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:30 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I am glad I DID say something to my doctor about my son's behavior because he ended up having ADHD and needed the meds to help him out. It changed him for the better. Sometimes, meds are needed and sometimes what seems like normal childhood behavior is not normal and is the sign of something else.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:32 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Instant gratification.
    Oh, your kid is a little rowdy? Tell the doctor, he will give him pills to mellow him out. Problem solved.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:16 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I do think that everyone is too quick to decide that kids have a "disorder' of some kind and ask the Doctor if there is " a pill" to get rid of the bad behavior when the reality is that they don't want to consistently discipline and expect their children to behave. Too many kids are diagnosed as having adhd or some kind of "treatable' disorder when they are just out of control, lacking good role models and lacking discipline and limits..
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:38 AM on May. 4, 2011

• well silly things, I would never, but the other day, there was a question about a 3 year old biting, hitting, screaming, throwing stuff, and dismembering her dolls,, I said maybe you should talk to the doctor,,,sounded pretty aggressive to me,, got all kinds of grief for it,, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:57 AM on May. 4, 2011