Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how should i go about getting full custody?

when i had my son it turned out that i also had P.P.D ..... things went bad and i gave joint custody to my mother,so that i could always have my boy in my life.and now that i feel i'm ready and able my mother doesn't seem to want to part.... every time she gives me a list of must and everytime i do them all she changes her mind...first it was get a house then job, car and be stable well i'm all those things and still he lives with her

Answer Question

Asked by zaymama at 6:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • why did you have your child taken away just because of that? sorry not trying to be mean but couldnt you go on meds and therapy? I would never let my mother have custody of my child..

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • If there is no court order in place right now all you do is walk in and take your child home. So first thing is this by court order? If not go get your child and go home and when she shows up call the cops and how them the birth certificate.
    If there is a court order giving her custody...........
    You just hire a lawyer and tell him how things have changed and the circumstances surrounding why hes with your mom. Once youre stable with a job and home there should be no reason you cant have your child with you. A judge would rather a child be with his natural parent then a grandparent. But you are going to have to take her to court. When you do dont tell her anything about it just have her served. She may try and keep you from the child but that plays in your favor because judges dont like that.

    Answer by gemgem at 6:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • i agree with gemgem

    Answer by wendy232425 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • Call the attorney that did the joint custody and tell him/her that you want full custody now. Mom can't stop you and can't make demands for you to get custody back. Only a judge can require stipulations to getting custody and that happens when the child is taken away by the state. Call legal aid if money is an issue.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • Including everything that every one has already stated. You can still go to you local court where they do just custody battles, and go to the clerks office ask them for the name of the Judge that was on your case and file the proper papers to see that Judge again. That way you don't have to start all over because he/she already familiar with the case, and they can give you your rights back!

    Answer by hardworkingmom4 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
kind of personal